1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tomlinson retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 18, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Smith's game against the Giants with the bad shoulder was amazing. Either he is one of the toughest SOBs to ever step on the field or he was on enough drugs to make Anna Nicole Smith envious.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

The original post was best season and best season only. The definition is pretty vague honestly. It doesn't equate 100 percent to just dominance in my book.

Anyways, explain to me how those seasons weren't? More yards and touchdowns. In many cases it isn't even close (300+ yards and 5+ TD difference).

As for Fred Taylor, I never got into that debate much that I remember. I do believe that he COULD have been but injuries killed it. He's a borderline HOFer to me. If he gets in, fine, if he doesn't, fine.

3. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Priest Holmes scored 94 touchdowns in only 113 games.
    If Davis ever does make it in, I don't see how they could justify keeping Holmes out.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Because all that counts for a RB is rushing? It's the most important but if a RB is big in the passing game it serves just as much value.

I'm not sure if you meant to say I am counting rushing/receiving for everyone except for Campbell I'm using just rushing. If that is what you meant, then you are mistaken. It's just that Campbell had a whopping 47 receiving yards and no receiving TD's that year.

And for the record I should state Campbell is one of my favorite RBs. I just don't let that blind me. There are a bunch of seasons better than Campbell's best.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Priest played a full ten years, including 45 more games. Priest was handcuffed by not getting to the NFL until he was 24 and then riding the pine in Baltimore for a long time. Yes, injuries cost him some seasons but it's not the same as Davis. Priest had enough time to compile enough stats to make the HOF.

6. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Holmes lost years playing part-time for Mickey Mouse offenses.
    What's fair to one is fair to the other.
    Holmes and Davis belong in the Hall of Short-Term Brilliance.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is what I meant. You didn't use his total yards.

That said, I still don't see it as a fair comparison. Not that receiving yards shouldn't count for a running back, but not as much as rushing yards. That is often determined by the player's role in the offense rather than how good they are. The game has also changed dramatically. You look at somebody like Roger Craig and the way he was used. Nobody used running backs that way when Campbell was in his prime.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Plenty of RB's got 300-500 yards in receiving when Campbell played including Payton, Otis Anderson, Billy Sims, Tony Dorsett ... etc. Campbell just wasn't a good receiver. Don't need to be as a RB but when talking best seasons a RB receiving numbers should be factored in.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I did not say running backs didn't gain yards as receivers then. I said they were used differently, which is how guys like Roger Craig ended up with seasons over 2,000 total yards. Heck of a player, but no, not in Campbell's class.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's never surprising when a Cubs fan can't identify what great players, seminal achievement, and greatness itself look like.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I figure he thinks Shaun Alexander was the BEST!!!! because of the two dozen times he got to tippy-toe in from the 1 that year.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Shaun had a few really great seasons with Seattle.

And I agree Roger Craig had some great years with San Francisco as well. Only 10 can make a legit top 10 list.

People often forget that Craig and Marcus Allen started as fullbacks before switching to halfback.

Draft saved Draft deleted