1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tomlinson retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 18, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Campbell does not need an asterisk. He was that dominant. Led the NFL in rushing three times and went over 1,300 two other times.

Bo Jackson wasn't even close. He could have been, but he wasn't. People really need to stop giving Jackson credit for what he could have done but didn't.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

don't know how any idiot puts sanders no. 4 on the all-time list.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Actually he probably wouldn't be. There are plenty of individual seasons better than is 1,900+ yard 13 TD season.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There weren't then and for a long time after. Now, with actual defense having been outlawed, they're more commonplace.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i dunno. he did it in 15 games, averaged 5.2 a carry and 129 per game. it was one of the most dominate seasons by a back i ever saw.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Campbell's combination of size, speed and agility was probably only seen one other time in NFL history.

If he played for Pittsburgh, Oakland or Dallas in the 1970s and 1980s they would rename the HOF after him and probably the town. Instead he had Pastorini handing him the ball.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

at least houston went out and got a washed-up stabler. ; )

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Depends at what point you put the cutoff. Running backs have gone over 1,900 yards to lead the league five times since Campbell did it. Only O.J. Simpson had done it before, but at least part of that was the shorter schedules. The rule changes have done a lot more to open up the passing game than the run.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he was better than Emmitt.

1. Brown
    2. Payton
    3. Sanders
    4. Faulk
    5. Tomlinson

11. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Before there was ...

Simpson's 1973 (2073 total yards 12 TDs)
    Simpson's 1975 (2243 yards 23 TDs)
    Brown's 1958 (1665 yards 18 TDs in 12 games)
    Brown's 1963 (2131 yards 15 TDs)
    Brown's 1965 (1872 yards 21 TDs)
    Payton's 1977 (2121 yards 16 TDs)

Before all the rule changes there were a bunch more than would drop him off the list.

Dickerson 1983, 1984
    Sanders 1997
    Terrell Davis 1997, 1998
    Jamal Anderson 1998
    Emmit 1992, 1995
    Marcus Allen 1985
    Edgerrin James 1999, 2000
    Roger Craig 1985
    Faulk 1999, 2000, 2001

Those are just the ones I got from the obvious names and seasons I remember. Could be more.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh, Cubbiebum, you and your stats. It is how you end up sucking off Fred Taylor as one of the great running backs. If you want to believe Edgerrin James in 1999 and 2000 was more dominant than Earl Campbell in 1980, go right ahead. You're only showing how little you know.

Draft saved Draft deleted