1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tomlinson retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know his career was very, very short, but this guy deserves mention:

[​IMG]

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I Was just thinking, if Campbell is there, what about Bo. Terrell Davis & Herschel Walker can also make the all asterisk list.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Outing Alert: Steak Snabler is Brian Bosworth.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Tomlinson is one of my all-time favorites. Dude had one helluva run. And I hate Auburn with all my worth, but goddamn Bo was amazing.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I thought long and hard about Terrell Davis. For me, Jackson just didn't play long enough to make the list.

I thought about Dorsett a bit. But Franco Harris always seemed a bit overrated to me. Played on some very good teams; sort of the opposite of Simpson and Payton. I wonder how good he would have been on a bad team.

As always, these are subjective and good water cooler conversation. I certainly would not oppose Tomlinson being voted into the HOF when he's eligible.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Wow. I've been waiting for someone to bring up the person almost always brought up very quickly by someone over 50. No one has mentioned Gale Sayers.

To me he may have been one of the most talented ever but injuries are part of the game and he simply doesn't belong in the conversation. Anyone who says Sayers belongs in the top 5 MUST have Terrell Davis right behind him. Problem is you never see or hear that. Sayers was the first to use agility to a great degree and not try to either outrun or overrun every defender. Old people remember that and vastly overrate him.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you are measuring their best season, and only their best season, Campbell is easily on the list. For an entire career, probably not.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Bo knows Tecmo, but doesn't sniff this list.

9. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Bo was incredible, but the career was way, way too short.

Bo had only 515 career carries. For comparison's sake, Gale Sayers had 991 carries and Terrell Davis had 1,655 carries.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sayers and Jim Brown came before my time, which was why I set my personal cutoff date at 1970. No doubt Sayers and Brown would make any all-time list.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, that was a season and a half for Eric Dickerson.

12. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Heck if you count the 4 playoff games, Davis had 481 carries in 1997.

I was a huge Bo Jackson fan, but if he's an all-time back, you can call Chris Johnson, or any RB with one great season, an all-time back

Draft saved Draft deleted