1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tomlinson retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Thought this deserve it's own thread.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/tomlinson-retires-charger-today-charger-life-185007814--nfl.html

Tomlinson decided to call it career today. He signed a one day contract with the Chargers and retired afterwards.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Six or seven consecutive seasons as the No. 1 pick in everybody's fantasy league. We may never see a run like that again.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Nobody cares about your fantasy team! [hadtodoit]

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

He had eight straight 10+ rushing TD seasons, seven of which he had 1,000 yards, and he was a great receiver and blocker. Pretty clear 1st ballot.

If he wanted to pull an Emmit and sign with a crappy team that will give him some touches he could probably pass Emmit on the rushing TD list and take No. 1. He'd be a near lock to take over No. 2 on the total TD list. Emmit had 16 TD's after Tomlinson's current age (in three seasons). Tomlinson is still a very good third down back because of his receiving and blocking skills.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Now for the real debate ... where does he belong in the all-time RB list?

For me it is:

1a Barry Sanders
    1b Jim Brown
    3 Walter Payton
    4-6 Emmit Smith, Marshall Faulk, LaDainian Tomlinson (order depends on individual preference).

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd put Payton at No. 1, Brown at 2 and Sanders at 3.

Brown was a great power back and Sanders was a great speed/moves back. Payton was both.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Was just doing that today with someone. My list starts with the AFL-NFL merger, because those are the guys I actually got to see play live.

1) Walter Payton

2) Emmitt Smith

3) Earl Campbell

4) Barry Sanders

5) O.J. Simpson

6) Eric Dickerson

7) LaDanian Tomlinson

8) Marcus Allen

9) Marshall Faulk

10) John Riggins

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Not sure how you list Campbell over most of those guys and especially Sanders. Well unless this is your favorite RB's to watch. Never mind, even then Sanders would be above him.

Also, I think people underestimate Faulk. He's fourth in yards from scrimmage and fourth among RB's in TD's. Plus his peak is arguably the best.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I got to see Campbell several times early in his career and the guy was just a beast. Defenders were scared to try to tackle him, he was so big and strong and if he got up a full head of steam, look out. He was John Riggins with more speed. His career was shorter, but while he played he was fierce.

Sanders didn't seem so intimidating. If you could keep him in the box, he might well lose yards on any given play. He'd break his share of long runs. But, as John Madden once put it, his line might look something like: 1 yard, no gain, minus-2, one yard, 65-yard touchdown.

Allen and Faulk get higher marks for catching the ball out of the backfield. In that respect, I might move them ahead of Dickerson. But Dickerson, in his prime, like Campbell, was just fearful with that high-step running style.

Understandably, the list is subjective. Not all had the same quality of supporting cast. How good would Payton, Campbell, Sanders or Simpson be if they played with a HOF quarterback?

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Agreed on most parts although it should be noted Tomlinson was a better receiver than Allen. More receptions and slightly fewer yards and TD's in five less years. If Tomlinson wanted to play for a crap team for five years like Allen did he would likely be right around Faulk in total numbers for receiving which is way past Allen.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Payton didn't play behind an all-pro offensive lineman until he was 10 years into his career.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think Allen is overrated - I'd take him off the list and replace him with Dorsett or Harris. I also agree that Campbell is too high, thought the rest of the list looks pretty good.

Draft saved Draft deleted