1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tombstones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 9, 2012.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My grandma went ahead and had her name and birth year and all that on the tombstone after my grandpa died in 1998. Still freaks me out when I go to the graveyard to see her name on there.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd say it makes sense if a couple knows they will be buried side by side. Installing them already seems kind of weird if both are still alive. Seems like it would be easier to put the years on with them out of the ground.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Kick me to the gutter when I go. Not like I'm going to notice where I wind up, right?

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Tangent: I always loved that when Jefferson designed his own headstone, he was worried about someone mining it.

"...to be of the coarse stone of which my columns are made, that no one might be tempted hereafter to destroy it for the value of the materials."

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

TigerVols,
    Quite common to have both who are alive and healthy do it. At least in my hometown. Was just back there and visited the grave of a friend who recently died. He doesn't have a tombstone yet but as I walked around, was amazed at the number of tombstones of people who are young and quite healthy. People in early 50s. And in my parents' hometown, there was some guy who had a deal a few years back -- he sold tombstones -- and a bunch of young, healthy couples, both still alive, signed up for it so the cemetery there is filling up with them...although not, yet, filling up with bodies.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Seems to be pretty common in my extended family, I know that.

One benefit re: reserving a specific spot is that depending on the size of the cemetery (or the area of it in which you want to be buried); if you don't do it early enough, there may not be room for you after you die. So if the final resting place is important to you, why not go ahead and put a tombstone there now, too? If you're already thinking about it, I imagine having a marker with your name on it isn't going to bother you all that much.

7. KG

KG Active Member

I already have a plot for that reason.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You tell 'em I'm coming, and HELL'S coming with me!

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I don't even want to shop for tombstones. I don't want to tempt fate. I have no doubt that once I pick one out, it'll have to be put to use.

10. I hope everyone on this thread has signed up to be organ donors. That's what you should be thinking of before you go and get tombstones.

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Oh, that does seem a little odd. Then again, I'm not a big proponent of cemeteries in general. It seems inefficient to dedicate so much of our finite space on this planet to decomposing bodies.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm a (future) organ donor, but I don't really get what one has to do with the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted