1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tombstones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 9, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So Mrs. TV and I were having a discussion over lunch and it dawned on me I can get a better answer here than on Teh Googles.

Is it common, uncommon, or completely fucking whacko for a husband and wife to have already bought and placed their tombstones?

I ask because the Mrs. visited her folks the other day -- both in their early 80s -- and they took her to visit their gravesite, complete with engraved tombstones, which they apparently bought several years ago. (Good thing there is no death date on them, huh?)

What say SportsJournalists.com nation?

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

My father already has his set up right next to my mother's (she passed in 2004).

Kinda weirded me out a little but I think it's perfectly normal.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

my grandparents did the same thing. I don't think I would ever want to if my spouse passed before I did (assuming I ever get married that is). It's gotta be pretty creepy walking up to a grave site and seeing your own name carved in stone, just waiting for a date to be added.

4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

It's probably relatively common if one spouse has already passed away (both sets of my grandparents did this), but I've never really seen a double tombstone where both sides have a blank date.

5. TigerVols

Yes, if one has passed away...but both are still alive.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not as weird as my thoughts lately. Don't want to be buried. I've been thinking I'd like to flown north, dumped out the door to the tundra to give the wildlife a meal. Sounds sick, I know, but hey... circle of life, you know?

7. Sweet... a wrinkleld threesome in the hereafter!

8. Me too.
    Told my wife no burial. She ain't wasting a several grand on a fancy box and a plot. Cremation is fine, unless there's a cheaper option.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think its more common than people think.

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

My grandfather died in '97. They placed a big two-for-one headstone on the side-by-side plots, put his name on it and left the other side blank until she died last year.

11. TigerVols

Just to reiterate, I think it's well established that couples have shared tombstones placed once one of them dies; what I'm talking about is having the shared tombstone placed when both are still alive and quite healthy.

12. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone who's ever done it, but I think it's pretty smart. They're not leaving the expense or design for anyone else to worry about.

My dad always said he didn't want to see his name on a tombstone before he died, but after we lost my mom and he ordered their stone, he went ahead and did it. Doesn't seem to bother him. Kind of funny side note: My dad's name is John Smith. When my brother died, we went to the funeral home to pick everything out, and all the sample stones and caskets said "John Smith." Maybe that's how my dad got comfortable with it.

Incidentally, my brother was 36 when he died, and I was kind of surprised his wife got side-by-side tombs for him because she still has a lot of life ahead of her and could conceivably with someone for much longer than the 10 years she was with my brother. As overwhelmed with grief as she was at the time, though, I'm sure she couldn't imagine ever being with anyone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted