1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Wolfe on Clay Felker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A good read:

http://nymag.com/news/media/48341/

What I like best, aside from Wolfe's writing, is the story of a dying newspaper having the audacity to think big.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Terrific story.

And it took the current ownership to bring the magazine back to the level it reached under Felker. The intervening years weren't pretty.

3. Sly

Sly Active Member

And the first comment underneath the story ...

Hey Tom, I'm going to clue you in on something - a little bit phrase from my generation - which your old milky butt probably won't understand:

TL;DR.

That means: TOO LONG; DIDN'T READ.

BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME!

We are so screwed.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Why would someone who doesn't like long-form storytelling read New York Magazine?

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If he had read it, he'd have known it was from a book.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And look forward to reading that book, looks like it's coming out in September. Collection of the best from New York.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great article by one of my favourite journalists.

Met Tom Wolfe at the book launch thrown by Farrar Straus & Giroux for Bonfire of the Vanities. Perfectly charming man.

Having a conversation with him and Roger Straus was up there with meeting Rocket Richard in terms of "moments I'll never forget"

There's a link in that story to his famous "Radical Chic' article, about a fundraising party Leonard Bernstein threw for the Black Panthers in 1970 ('71?)

Draft saved Draft deleted