1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Verducci proposes the 'Bonus At-Bat'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. Also brings to mind that dumb NBA rule that lets teams bypass bringing the ball up the court in the final minute to try to artificially create more last second shot opportunities. I hate that gimmicky crap.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Let's bring back the 20-foot tall, 10- and 25-point baskets from the old MTV Rock N' Jock games.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I had no idea that was a rule until now.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sounds more like some of those wierd rules in the current version of the ABA.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd rather go with a designated pinch-hitter (a guy who could take the place of various batters depending on the situation, no more than three times in a game and no more than once an inning) - figure a lefty PH you could re-use and not have to take a guy out of the game. But a guy who is already in the order? No.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I do too, but it's been around for so damn long. I would prefer teams have to make a choice in those situations (it's the last two minutes of the fourth quarter and overtimes):

You burn the timeout and you can use it to draw up a plan but you take the ball out under the opposite basket or you can move up to the frontcourt but you take the ball out immediately, no time for a huddle. The last two minutes of NBA games are like root canals.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Verducci's folly would be OK fodder for endless sports shouting shows or an online piece in the middle of winter. But considering space in the dead-trees SI is at such a premium these days, you'd think some editor would have thought better.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

On top of the asinity of this, that's what I don't get. The timing. We had a marvelous World Series, one of the cornerstone franchises won, attendance and ratings up ... yeah, let's add a gimmick!

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's been in the NBA for 40-some years now so don't hold your breath for them to get rid of it.

10. printit

printit Member

Rule change(s) they should make (but won't): Start every post season series (except for the World Series and the one game playoff) with the better seed having a one game lead. Makes the regular season mean more. (although forcing wild card teams to play each other in a one game playoff has helped with that somewhat). Go back to giving the team with the better record home field in the World Series. (it's not perfect with unbalanced scheduling and differences in the strengths of each league, but it's a lot better than what they do now).

11. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Maybe Verducci has been hanging out with Pellini.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

So can I. Some games take way too long.

Draft saved Draft deleted