1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Verducci proposes the 'Bonus At-Bat'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Batter hits pitcher with his bat, pitcher is out (cold).

[​IMG]

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's why I qualified it with high school. I don't know if NCAA and the NFL still have it.

I've seen it once at a freshman game. Team was winning like 63-0 and the team with 0 scored a touchdown and the coach with 63 said, "We'll kick off." Everyone was freaking out, but the coach knew the rule.

Sort of like the free kick for a field goal after a fair catch. The rule is there -- but you see it maybe once every generation.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The free kick/fair catch field goal is still legal in high school and the NFL, but NOT in college. The 49ers tried one earlier this year (and missed). There hasn't been one executed successfully in the NFL since 1976 (by the Chargers' Ray Wersching).

It's relatively common in high school, but the conditions have to be perfect (end of half, ball at a makeable field goal distance). We had a kid in our area kick one earlier this year and I Googled it and came up with a lot of results.

Turns out a kid in Florida kicked one for a game-winner just last year:

http://sports.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Rare-free-kick-leads-to-huge-last-minute-win-in?urn=highschool-wp7579

(Not disputing anything you wrote MH, but I just find it a fascinating subject and thought I'd share).

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The free kick is where most of the longest field goal records in HS football come from. There was a kid in Georgia who kicked something like a 67-yarder.

5. MileHigh

Definitely see the free kick after a fair catch more than the kickoff one. It's always fun when fans and opposing coaches freak out when they see it and can't figure it out. And unlike the NFL, in high school, if the kick misses and it breaks the goal line, it's a touchback. No runback.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's another high school kicking rule, and I might be off about the exact specifics of it, where if you attempt a field goal and it goes out of bounds or is downed, the defensive team gets the ball at that spot -- not the line of scrimmage.
    There was a coach in our area a few years ago who used it to his advantage all season. He had a good kicker, but either the guy couldn't punt or his punter wasn't very good. So, in punting situations, he'd trot out the field goal team. They'd line up on their own 30 sometimes, the guy would boom it 40 or 50 yards, and they'd run down the field and down the ball like you would a punt.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

How about in each round of the playoffs, the advancing team is allowed to select one player from the defeated team to add to its roster for the remainder? Imagine if the Cardinals could have started Kershaw and had McCutcheon in CF instead of worthless Jon Jay. Or if the Red Sox starters would have lined up as: David Price, Verlander, Lester, Lackey.

Let's do this in all sports, too. I want to see the Heat's starting five in the NBA Finals be: Rose, Wade, LeBron, Granger, Carmelo.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I saw one in high school last week I haven't seen before. A runner who fumbles on fourth down has to recover his own fumble. If he doesn't and a teammate does, the ball goes back to the spot of the fumble. If it's behind the first down marker, the ball goes over on downs.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

That wouldn't work. Imagine if the Cardinals picked up Kershaw and then threw him on short rest and left him in for 140 pitches and he blows out his arm.

10. MileHigh

Correct. A field goal attempt is just like a punt, except if it goes through the uprights, you get the points. Otherwise, if it goes into the end zone, it's a touchback. If it's short of the goal line, it can be picked up and returned. Or if it's kicked out of bounds or downed by the kicking team short of the goal line, that's the spot where the ball is put in play.

11. MileHigh

Which state? You can PM me if you don't want to out yourself.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Isn't that the way in the NFL? I thought that was the Holy Roller rule.

Draft saved Draft deleted