1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Verducci PEDs column: Should SI be disclosing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Schefter is not working for both simultaneously.

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

Total conflict of interest. It should absolutely be disclosed.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanliness
    And cleanliness is godliness, and god is empty just like me

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Sure, it's a clear conflict of interest ....

But with SI's declining readership and MLB's hemorrhaging demographics, this kind of thing is becoming "if a tree falls in the forest, does anybody give a shit?"

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As an SI reader Verducci's lack of credibility is a bigger issue to me than his work at MLB.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Exactly.

The "John Canzano is working for a radio station owned by the Blazers' owner!!" discussion of 2007 seems so quaint now.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the Obama campaign was happy that media folks stayed in their media roles, where they provided more help to the candidate than anything they could have done stuffing envelopes or knocking on doors for them. Assumed Time liked it that way too, given its audience.

As for Verducci and SI, there shouldn't be a disclaimer. It should be an either/or decision for Verducci to make. Obviously MLB Network is fine with it, because it gets Verducci's street cred while covertly flexing its approval over who works for it. And it gets a major national writer eating out of its hand. [I like Verducci and his work, but the ethical compromise is undeniable and damning.]

From what I've heard, SI in the past has excused itself from various "synergistic" relationships with other enterprises to maintain its appearance of integrity. For example, it distanced itself from at least one of the league's Web sites merely in sharing links to show that it is independent. Yet it allows this.

What, there's no one else who can cover MLB for the magazine? In the whole wide world of sports scribbling?

8. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

Funny, the thing that most caught my eye was the graphic where they had Melky Cabrera's name on a sticky-note with a photo of Eduardo Nunez next to it (I think it was him, def. wasn't the Melk Man).

As for the whole Verducci-MLB Network-SI issue, of all the league-affiliated networks, MLB seems to be, by far, the most transparent and, perhaps, independent. They have a PED crawl, for goodness sake. Compare that to the NFL Network - they didn't even address the Ray Lewis deer antler spray story (which, coincidentally was also an SI story) - until he was asked about it. They just completely turned a blind eye to it. MLB Network doesn't seem to be doing that (I don't work at MLB Network).

9. Dick Whitman

Of course MLB Network has a PED crawl. The league's entire M.O. is to portray itself as the valiant defender of a level playing field, while the players - i.e. members of the MLBPA - try to sabotage those efforts.

And now it has a Manchurian candidate carrying its water at Sports Illustated.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Maybe the employers should.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I agree. And when they do, then their employees should follow their rules.

But if my employer doesn't care about conflict of interest, why should I? If MLB wants to write Verducci a big, fat check (or even a bunch of little checks) for his work, and SI knows about this and continues to employ him, he shouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it. I sure wouldn't.

For the record, I do think there should be a brief note at the bottom of any Verducci story on baseball that appears in SI (or other publications) that discloses his relationship with Major League Baseball. It IS a conflict of interest.

But that's SI's problem, not Verducci's. And certainly not MLB's.

12. Dick Whitman

Baseball is back and better than ever!

By Tom Verducci.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130212/spring-training-preview-tom-verducci/index.html

Even his SI bio doesn't mention his MLB Network side gig:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/writers/tom_verducci/archive/

Draft saved Draft deleted