1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Verducci PEDs column: Should SI be disclosing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 9, 2013.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If this were someone other than Verducci -- with his PED baggage -- would the issue even be raised?

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

A boys club? At a sports publication? GTFO.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. That didn't even cross my mind. I simply find it stunning that he can take a paycheck from MLB. Incomprehensible, in fact.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Why?

Clearly, there are almost no employers in journalism who seem to have a problem with this type of thing anymore. Why should employees?

5. Dick Whitman

To not even disclose, though?

Would Time allow someone to cover the White House and moonlight for the Obama campaign Web site?

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I know you probably weren't intending to imply covering MLB is as important as covering the White House, but I feel we should get that out there anyway.

7. Dick Whitman

Ethics are ethics. Is this the toy department or is it not?

George Dohrmann won a Pulitzer. SI hired him.

What business are they in? Because I'm confused.

8. Dick Whitman

Is it bigger than county politics? I was at a shop where someone was fired for moonlighting with a county official she covered.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Political coverage is not sports coverage is not cinema coverage is not fashion coverage is not crime coverage is not school board coverage.

10. Dick Whitman

So anything goes then, in sports?

Just the toy department, after all. Why should readers expect independent coverage? We're all on the same team now? Teams, athletes, reporters. One big happy family, readers be damned. Let them eat cake.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Please point to where I said anything close to that.

I'm saying the ethics involved in political coverage isn't the same as in sports. Or in crime. Or school board. Or music. Etc.

Nothing is black and white.

12. Dick Whitman

OK. Does Tom Verducci working for Major League Baseball cross the ethical line in sports coverage? Does criticizing another league's PED program, in comparison to Major League Baseball's, cross the ethical line in sports coverage? Why is Sports Illustrated justified in eschewing full disclosure in this case?

You say sports is different.

Why? How? And what does that mean, on the ground?

Draft saved Draft deleted