1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Squires

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Dec 20, 2011.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Tom Squires, probably best known for his time at The Tennessean, has died.

I'm still waiting to find out more about this. He apparently had been suffering from Alzheimer's.

In the early days of the Nashville Sounds, I took a lot of box scores over the phone from Tom:

"Balboni, four thousand."
    "Menees, four one two one"

I seem to recall an uneasy parting from Tom back in the 1980s, but I had a lot of those. I hope he is at peace now.

2. HejiraHenry

3. HejiraHenry

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Interviewed with him when he was with the Florida Today. Great guy. The one employee of his that I knew the best sang his praises as a boss.

RIP Tom.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

HH, thanks for posting this; sad to see Tom passed away...ran across him on several sidelines in Brentwood when I was a kid, and read his stuff religiously.

BTW, the Balboni mention was sweet...but I had to ad the "Geeeeeeeno" to the second name. ;)

6. Evan Grant

Evan Grant New Member

For those of us who worked for Tom, he wasn't just a boss. He was a friend, a family member, a mentor. He saved me from a bad situation 20 years ago, gave me a huge opportunity and let me make of it whatever I could. My four years working for him were nothing but a treat. He welcomed me into his family.

My thoughts and prayers are with Brenda and Chandler.

Tom will be missed.

7. rde

rde New Member

Tom was also one of the main shapers of USA Today in the early days, and always had big ideas at Florida Today. Had the life there for a long time, complete with golf at Suntree about every morning. He ended up back at the Tennessean about 10 years ago, I think, working on Web stuff. Didn't seem like the same passionate, occasionally mercurial guy. Sorry to hear about how things ended up for such an incisive mind. R.I.P., and condolences to his loved ones.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Used to run across Tom in Florida circles during his time here, and always seemed like a good guy and somebody who was an integral part of the drinks and conversation.

Draft saved Draft deleted