1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Seaver has dementia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Mar 7, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another day, another sucky disease.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Does he not remember how to spell Seaver? Nope, that’s you ;)

Saw this yesterday. Awful

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

For whatever reason I’m reminded of the “Growing Pains” episode where Maggie Seaver went to her maiden name, and her husband wasn’t thrilled about it.

He was a small part of the first team I really remember, the 1986 Sox. Godspeed.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Simmons catches a lot of hell here but his best column was when he was a teenager and his friend’s neighbor was Tom Seaver and he once did warm up throws to them in the backyard as he considered a comeback.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Never read that. Will have to check it out. I work in Greenwich now

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He was my first favorite athlete. As a 7 year old, I remember crying when he got traded to the Reds.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

CD Boogie likes this.
  8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

He had a well-publicized bout of Lyme Disease, right? I wonder if that had any connection, or exacerbated it.

Terrible news. Like Wicked, I was just getting into my love of the Red Sox at 10 years old when they picked up Seaver. Always wished he had played for them in the WS ... that would have been a great storyline.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Love your headline.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember that episode. She spontaneously began reporting on some breaking news thing for the local TV news and she said her maiden name and nobody blinked until her husband was like, “Wait, what?”

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, this sucks for Tom Terrific. I was pretty young through most of his career, but I remember how big a deal it was when he came back to the Mets in ‘83. Then they left him off the 40-man or something and the White Sox claimed him.

It’s too bad because he and Gooden could have pitched together. And the Mets could have used an extra starter in ‘84 and ‘85.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Lyme Disease seems to be a direct connection, according to Bill Madden. And, as everyone has mentioned, this news about Seaver is just awful.

Tom Seaver's friends cherish a lifetime of memories with the greatest Met

Draft saved Draft deleted