1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Perkins is at it again. More votes for the rich.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/14/investing/tom-perkins-vote/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Now he's saying no taxes, no votes. And the more taxes you pay, the more votes you get.
    Could somebody please explain to me why this is fair?
    It's not my fault he's rich and I'm not so why should he get to vote and have his vote counted more while I either get no vote at all or only one vote?
    I don't know if he inherited his money or if he spent his entire adult life working his ass off for it, that's still no reason he should get more votes than anyone else.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Well, it would make official what is pretty much reality, anyway, that being that the rich have more influence in elections and governing that us little people

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Any day now he'll be calling for the return of indentured servitude and debtor prison laws. And slavey advocation can't be too far behind.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Everybody pays "taxes".

Everybody pays between 14-20 percent of their income in "taxes."

Not everybody pays "federal income taxes."

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Yup. Everybody pays ~6% in payroll taxes, alone. That doesn't account for sales tax, vehicle tax, property tax (either as the owner or having it included in your rent), state income tax, what else am I missing?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Gasoline tax, utility tax, tobacco tax, alcohol tax . . .

[​IMG]

14-19 percent. For everybody.

Nobody is getting screwed. Nobody is getting a free ride.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Odd, I think people who kill somebody with their yacht shouldn't be allowed to vote at all.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He's a troll.

And, just as everyone was thinking that Perkins was a tiny bit off his rocker, he suggested that he had the solution to America’s problems. In order to vote, he proposed, everyone should have to have paid at least $1 in taxes.

“And those who have paid a million dollars in taxes,” he continued, “should have a million votes.”

In a press session afterward, he was asked whether he was really serious about that.

“Of course not,” he said. “I intended to be outrageous and I was.”

http://blog.sfgate.com/cwnevius/2014/02/13/tom-perkins-still-thinks-the-rich-are-prosecuted/#20659101=0

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Next up, he'll suggest that all gays drop off the face of the earth ...

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

A proposal which would be slightly unconstitutional, unless he can figure out a way to repeal the 24th amendment

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A few years ago, Walter Williams wrote a column proposing something similar. In Williams' plan, everybody would get one vote, than one more for every $10,000 in income tax they paid.
    Williams compared it to how nobody who doesn't own stock in a company gets a vote on how the company is run.
    A poor analogy.
    Jerry Doyle, former Babylon Five actor and talk show host, loved the idea. He said it was no different than if somebody bought lunch for a group of people, he would decide where everyone would go or how the head of a family, who pays for a vacation, gets to decide where the family goes.
    Two more poor analogies.
    And it's not my fault that Tom Perkins was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I should still get just as many votes as he does.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

well not everyone has read the entire constitution. most on the right only read the second amendment. most on the left only read the first.
    most journalists only read the first and twenty-first

Draft saved Draft deleted