1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom O'Brien to N.C. State? Didn't see that coming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Dec 6, 2006.

1. C'mon, wicked, you KNOW who you're dealing with here.
    They'd rather dig up Frank Leahy and prop him up on the sidelines than hire Brown, who's going to be in line for a better job anyway.

UPDATE -- However, what about Mark Whipple? His time with the Steelers probably washed the State U stigma off him.

2. When's the last time a coached switched teams to a worse program within a conference?

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Perhaps O'Brien realized the best Boston College could ever apsire in ACC football would be the Meineke Car Care Bowl. If you're going to spend December in Carolina, you might as well spend the rest of the rest of the year there as well.

OK, that's the BU fanboy looser in me speaking out loud.

I'm not sure what the budgets are like at BC and NCSU, but I'd wager O'Brien could get more money in Raliegh than he could in Chestnut Hill.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fuck B.C. and their 17 fans. You consistently fourth in the BigEast, now you're consistently sixth in the ACC. Enjoy it, you fucking traitors.

5. Well, someone found something in their Cheerios this morning.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

After seeing BC get jobbed in the bowls a second straight year (only the sixth ACC spot this year after the seventh or eighth last year, both times when the Eagles should've gotten the fourth), OB probably figured BC football will never get any respect in the conference. The opportunity was never better, with the U and FSU having down years - this year may have been BC's one chance at the BCS.
    There better be a lot of benjamins in Raleigh, though.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fenian, Whipple's name also came to mind after your post. His son is graduating high school this year after tearing up the WPIAL, so that may mean Mark is more willing to move on now.

But do you think the BC folks could deal with a Brown guy running the show? As much as they look down at the UMasses, they have a massive inferiority complex when it comes to the Ivies.

I'm sure some boosters also will push for guys like Tom Lamb and Barry Gallup (yikes).

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bruce Snyder, California to Arizona State in the early 1990s, is the last time I can even remember a coach going from one conference school to another, although I'm sure there are other examples. Snyder had Cal on a role and ASU was in the tank with Larry Marmie.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Nicely played. Can't believe it took me five reads for that to click.

And the reports I've seen/heard say O'Brien's going from about $750k to $950k with the lateral move.

10. Whipple is coming from the Steelers, so the green-pants-with-whales-on-them set can puff themselves up about "hiring an NFL coach."
    After all, Belichick went to Wesleyan, for god's sake.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

$200K? That's it.

I realize that's a huge difference for most of us on the board, but for a coach that's almost asinine.

If you're not doubling your salary or at least getting a 50 percent raise, why leave? Unless there's trouble brewing ahead at the end of the Green Line.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Trouble? At BC? Never.

Notice that the rumors last night were saying there could be an announcement today. Seems like there now might be a snag. Wondering if OB's having second thoughts.

Draft saved Draft deleted