1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom O'Brien to N.C. State? Didn't see that coming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Dec 6, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

My jaw dropped when I saw this one.

So O'Brien reportedly has turned down all these good gigs over the years, and now he's going to settle for a fourth-rate program? WTF?

As Mizzou said on the RR thread, there are jobs where you'll be considered deity if you go 8-4 every year. That's the case on Chestnut Hill, even though as KP mentioned O'Brien has never won a really big game in his time on The Heights.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, 8-4 will pretty much keep you in good graces in Raleigh, so long as you beat that school in Baby Blue in Chapel Hill. You'd be amazed how many people who thought Chuck was a deity until he lost to North Carolina three straight years. Those same people who were worshipping him called him mud and much worse - quickly.

3. Well, that certainly sounds like the exact passel of complete romping neurotics that I'd take a job trying to please for the next five years.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

O'Brien will never be able to build a consistent top-25 program there. Pack hasn't been much since Rivers left town.

At least at BC, he had six states locked up, vis-a-vis recruiting.

5. Four of which really suck, football-wise.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Huh?
    Which six? And you're telling me he wasn't having to fight off Penn State and others there?

7. KP

KP Active Member

Yet, people in the home state bitch and moan about how BC doesn't take enough home grown guys and they don't do anything to support high schools. Neighbors don't want BC hosting Superbowls (yes, one word says the MIAA).

8. Yes, they do.
    Regardless, Vermont, NH, RI and Maine are the Petrified Forest for recruiting.

9. KP

KP Active Member

The New England six, though he did well with the NJ catholics. As F_B said, four of them totally suck (Vt., N.H., Maine and R.I.)

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Screw the neighbors, they've been a major pain in the ass over there for years -- but then again, if you pay $2 mil for your house, you're likely to get an excessive say on things.

And BC takes plenty of Massachusetts kids, at least the ones that are good enough to play D-1.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They've also done well in some parts of Florida.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

That was my point (the NE schools sucking ass). And he'd now have to deal with a powerful Rutgers.
    Not that he won't be up against it recruiting-wise at State.

Draft saved Draft deleted