1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Mulhern of the Wisconsin State Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Madison Sports, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Madison Sports

Madison Sports New Member

In this life, almost no days are easy. Some, however, can be tremendously difficult. The last few weeks have fallen mostly in the latter category.

Observing Tom Mulhern as he faces his current struggle -- always, from the very start, with bravery and dignity -- has somehow been both a crushing blow (every time you take a breath and think about how surreal it is that what's happening is, indeed, happening) and an inspiration (when you observe how Mully himself has been handling this difficult situation).

Mully is and always has been a respected professional, a talented, tireless colleague and a valued friend to so many.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/article_a7240ee4-387b-5680-9149-123fdb90ce87.html

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Godspeed, Tom. This is a painful yet powerful story to read.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Having worked with Tom and also seen him in action for a competitor when he joined the State Journal, I can tell you he is all class. His two Wisconsin Sportswriter of the Year awards were well-deserved.

In a business that can be full of pompous cynics, I never heard Tom say a bad word about anyone. Fittingly, I've never heard anyone say anything but good things about Tom.

My prayers to Tom and his family.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Nice story from Oatesy. I've been fortunate enough to have crossed paths with Mully a number of times and hung out with him through a mutual friend.

He's a tremendous guy.

This simply sucks. My prayers are with him and his family.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Just awful, awful news. I'll echo RJ about my thoughts and prayers.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Worked the same beat as Tom for a few years. Total pro and tremendous guy.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Jason Wilde wrote a nice tribute to Tom as well.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=15771&is_corp=1

8. Madison Sports

Madison Sports New Member

Tom Mulhern passed away today at the age of 56. Thanks to those who have worked so hard to honor Tom and to start a scholarship fund in his honor.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/article_9fb5605e-11d0-5637-a5b2-e835e20c5325.html#.VC7wKLTkdbk.twitter

9. RecoveringJournalist

Fuck, that was fast.

Damn. God damn.

Fuck.
    Fuck.

RIP to one of the good guys.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Goddammit. That was fast. My sympathies to his family and friends. Barely one month.

Draft saved Draft deleted