1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Lehman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Aug 13, 2006.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

If he qualifies for the Ryder Cup team either this week or next, does he play? I say absolutely. It's only an exhibition and the recent captains outside of Crenshaw and Watson haven't served the U.S. too well. Why not play and rely on the assistant's to take on some added responsibility? It would be a great story no matter how Lehman played.

2. Jersey_Shore

Jersey_Shore New Member

Definitely play.

He can be just as useful as a captain if he's on the course playing.

3. Only an exhibition?

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

He earns his way on, he should play. Aside from setting the lineups, what do they do besides cheerlead once play starts anyway?

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

What else would you call it? I realize it's a huge deal but you never hear somebody say Jack Nicklaus played on X amount of Ryder Cup teams. It's always about the 20 majors and 73 PGA Tour wins.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Like the America's Cup, it didn't become a big deal until we lost it once.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Lehman is an ass kicker, a patriot, and a good guy. I'd love to see him play, for no other reason than the fact that Curtis Strange made one of the dumbest decisions ever by not picking him in 2001. Lehman was ninth in points with two tournaments to go, and his wife miscarried. He missed two cuts, slipped to 11th, and Strange picked Paul Azinger (14th in points) and Scott Verplank (22th in points), even though Lehman has never lost a singles match in three career Ryder Cups. Verplank played well, while Azinger was fairly blah, but Lehman deserved the chance to kick Euro ass, especially after they bitched about him celebrating after Leonard's putt in 1999.

Then again, Curtis Strange's Ryder Cup record (6-12-2) as a player pretty much speaks for itself.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He likely cost himself a dilemma by not winning the playoff.

Does Woosnam have to pick McGinley if he drops out of the top 10, because he's missing the PGA to go to Heather Clarke's funeral?

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm a big Tommy Lehman fan... but how the HELL is he within shouting distance of being in the top 10?

I always look for him on the leaderboards.... I don't recall him really contending in a major ... or anything else for that matter the past couple years.

10. Martin_Lane

Martin_Lane Member

Lehman is quoted in today's story that he will not play on the Ryder Cup team if he qualifies. Blames a bad putter lately.

Draft saved Draft deleted