1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Krasovic among San Diego Union cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, May 16, 2009.

1. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

And from what I've heard, Tom is one that got the early heave-ho. Despite the fact that he has a room and airfare booked for the Padres next away series.

2. Kras is very good at what he does, and still enjoys it even though he's been on the beat for 15 years. It is not a good sign when the business loses people of his ability and desire.
    I will say, from my own experience, that if he truly does have his last day of work on Friday but will be given the pay and benefits through July 6, he's better off.
    At the Rocky they stopped publishing even though they owed as two months of notice. They paid us on a regular basis, as if we were employed, but also informed us that we were free to seek employment elsewhere and it would not affect our ``separation'' package. In fact, the 10 who went to work at the Denver Post the day after we ended publication received their full ``separation'' package, from what I understand.
    Have you ever given notice of leaving a job to take a new one? Remember how anxious you were to move on? Well, I would think had we been forced to work each day for the final two months it would have been even worse. As it was we were able to start moving on with life, even if we didn't get very far.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I can vouch for that, Tracy. At the P-I we had to work to the very end of those 60-plus days or lose our severance package. We couldn't even look for a job, really, because they wouldn't tell us for sure when we'd lose our old one. So we couldn't tell potential employers when we'd be available.

Not to mention the pride-swallowing misery of working two months for someone who had already fired you. I'm glad Tom and the rest don't have to experience that, but also don't lose any money they have coming to them.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, the Padres suck anyway, right? That was meant to be blue-fonted, but it still stinks nevertheless. I know it's been said a million times here, but stay classy San Diego.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That's a two-sport town, and the Padres are a big deal in San Diego despite their record.

Add to it that the NC Times doesn't travel much, and you've got a major league beat with one full-time beat writer---MLB.com.

Looks like Padres pretty much control the message.

6. Dread_Smith

Dread_Smith New Member

Well, if Krasovic is done Friday, he went out with a bang. He had the Peavy/White Sox story in today's print issue, A1. Quick Google news search comes up with nothing earlier than his story. Looks like a clean scoop on a national story for someone who had already been fired. Wonder how often that has happened.

7. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I guess it would be like an athlete going out on top.

8. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

If the U-T doesn't travel with the Padres, that leaves San Diego without a legitimate newspaper. Very sad.

If there was a committed second paper in SD county, it would be time to scoop up Krasovic immediately and let him stick it to the U-T by beating their butt on stories every day. But the U-T is the lone major player in that town.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

There is the San Diego News Network (http://www.sdnn.com/), but I doubt they travel and I'm not sure what kind of peanuts are being paid to their writers.

10. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Shaggy, writers are paid depending on how many page views they get and how much ads are generated on their page. So, needless to say, it could take a while to make some $ on that site.

And I've heard its also a sinking ship.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Maybe, but it looks like the new owners are wary of people going to work for Web sites that would be any kind of competition. Romenesko linked to this today:

http://voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2009/05/22/this_just_in/336confidentiality052209.txt

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Good luck to the rat bastards trying to enforce that crapola paperwork.

You want me to stay unemployed by any competitor or startup for two years, you pay me for those two years.

Draft saved Draft deleted