1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Krasovic among San Diego Union cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, May 16, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Per Hal McCoy's blog:

More sad news today, which is what prompted this. Tom Krasovic has covered the San Diego Padres for at least 10 years, maybe longer, for the San Diego Union-Tribune. He is from Dayton, a Carroll High School graduate, and worked as a copy boy at the old Dayton Journal Herald. He was part of 150 jobs eliminated by the Union-Tribune this week and has a job only until July 31.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bill Center must become the new writer then. Still, this sucks. Tom knew his shit.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Every time I come up with yet another list in my head of, "Okay, now THESE are the reporters that still untouchable" in California, some of them get axed. I don't even think such a list, however brief, is plausible anymore.

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Plaschke, Simers, Ratto.

There's your list.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Knowing zero to the contrary, I'm not sure you can even be absolutely certain of those names in these crazy times. Pretty certain, but not absolutely.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I posted this on one of the Singleton threads. One of my co-worker, a couple of months ago, said that Tony Jackson of the L.A. Daily News had the safest job in the Southland because he was covering the Dodgers for just about every paper.
    Wrong ...

7. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

I got to know Tom a little years ago, good guy.

I hate hearing this.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's terrible. Tom's a great guy, and I always thought he had one of the best jobs in the business -- in part because it seemed like he was safe as a kitten. Nothing can be assumed these days.

The hits just keep coming.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree on Simers and Plaschke, I doubt Ratto thinks he's untouchable.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Seeing as how two of them are at one paper, it's only a matter of time before some bean counter says, "Fine, they're good. But we don't need both of them, do we?"

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought the same thing during the KC Star cuts. Also, some columnists have contracts.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I'm a huge fan of Ratto's work, I'd take him over pretty much anyone else, but I still don't think anyone is safe.

Draft saved Draft deleted