1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Junod Q&A

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jones, May 23, 2007.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

Okay, that's probably it for the time being, I'm afraid -- Tom's heading out on assignment. But I hope this thread continues to generate discussion.

Sweater, thanks for posting the Kalamazoo story, which, I would quietly suggest, serves as an interesting contrast to Tom's piece.

DD, I don't want to answer for Tom, but just so you're not left hanging -- I know there was considerable debate at the magazine over what to do with the story after it fell apart. Even after Tom had re-written, I think there was still debate, mostly concerns over his safety. I'm sure there were times when everybody involved wanted to throw in the towel -- I happened to be in the office when Robert Scheffler was fact-checking the piece, and he looked pretty ready to barf -- but I think the story was so good, everybody thought it was worth the trauma. Also, I think everybody involved thought it was important to expose this guy for the fraud that he is, given the job he was holding at the time.

And River: Those celebrity stories suck. We'd all rather get punched in the nuts than have to write one.

All right. Thanks again everybody. Happy reading.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

When you're cursing out the trolls or trying to wade through another pissing contest, remember this thread - which shows why SportsJournalists.com is a great site.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jones, no worries. My question was answered in a round about way by both you and him, I think.

Thanks again for throwing this together. Really good stuff.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Actually, that might be a great story.

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Junod had a legitimate reason to write. Clark had conned his way into a job in security at a nuclear facility. My guy was a sociopathic drifter angling for a handout to pay his Motel 6 bills. (He was passed to me by a NYT buddy with the advice, "Whatever you do, do not give him any money, ever.") Repeating the low-life's lies in any interesting way would have been a waste of my time and an insult to the readers.

Draft saved Draft deleted