1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tom jolly/"sports of the times" columnists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Aug 30, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i agree 1,000 percent that jack and now tyler did/do wonderful baseball analysis columns or whatever the times call them. many other papers have their best baseball/basketball/football/hockey/whatever writers also do columns. the good ones are more than capable filling that role, in essence filling the void for the standard general columnist.

for example, when the daily sbooze has, say, gary myers do a column off a jets game instead of a general columnist like lupica or filip, the readership is filled fine, too. but i dare say in the case of the new n.y. times, NONE of their team beat writers or national writers in the major team sports the paper covers -- outside of baseball -- can write a column or analysis i give two craps about anymore.

can anyone really argue the retired dave anderson is missed? or that the times currently has no nba voice the calibre of harvey's anymore? do they have a single nfl writer who carries any weight or any columnist with something worthwhile to say about the football landscape?

i'm sorry, but this just seems to be an unnecessary void.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Karen Crouse does a good job on the feature NFL stuff

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

you're a real instigator, aren't ya, boom? ??? ;) :D

4. Boom_70

Just trying to keep the discussion moving along Shockey

5. JackS

JackS Member

Well, going back to the cuts that originated this thread, who would be the NFL writer you're particularly missing?

6. Boom_70

I'll play - Damon Hack and Michael Freeman.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm not missing any of the times' nfl writers/columnists for their columns or analyses; i was a fan of neither's columns. but dave anderson always had a strong nfl voice and while the nfl was never admittedly harvey's strong suit, he worked hard at making sure his football columns were well-reported and were always measured and intelligent. the lack of anyone i'd consider a strong nfl voice is one of the few weaknesses of the times sports section, imho.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think the Washington Post clearly has outstaged the Times in regards to national voices. Boswell, Jenkins, Wise and (despite how rarely he puts his heart into his words) Wilbon are brilliant. But can any other paper make a similar claim?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Like Jenkins -- and Wilbon, when he's not protecting one of his pets.

10. Boom_70

Congratulations to Tom Jolly !

11. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

As Chass' column states, "But Jolly, working for a newspaper desperately trying to stay alive, has heavily bought into gimmicks and is abandoning sound newspaper practices."

Sadly, there are a lot of editors at newspapers across the country who are thinking and acting the same way.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As soon as this internet fad passes, Murray's gonna be right back on top.

Draft saved Draft deleted