1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Hanks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 9, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I LOVED "Road to Perdition". It may be one of the most underrated flicks of the last ten years.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Thought Hanks was great in Road to Perdition, and on a different note, I'll stand by "Money Pit" as long as anybody. I can't rank his best, but I'd put his top five against just about anybody's right now. Guy doesn't make many bad ones.

That said, watched about 30 seconds of "Costa Mosquita" on Spanish-speaking channel last night. Harrison Ford is still amazingly bad in that film in Spanish. We should do a Great Actors, Bad Movies category, with the understanding that the bad movies have to be after the actor made it big.

3. Not much love for The Green Mile?

It just barely missed making my list

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Even though it was a remake, I loved the Hanks version of "The Ladykillers."

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

No love at all for his lesser roles I see...

Punchline, Volunteers, That Thing You Do, and Catch Me if You Can...

I'll have to think of what my Top 5 would be.

Since we're talking movies, I guess his performance on "Bussom Buddies" won't count, along with his guest spots on Family Ties and Happy Days.

6. Except that he's not.

http://www.newsmeat.com/celebrity_political_donations/index.php?li=h

7. Remember the time he tried to rape Edith Bunker on All in the Family? That was great acting.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Cast Away was amazing.

Quite a body of work we're talking about here.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

???

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

1. Philadelphia.
    2. Forrest Gump.
    3. Saving Private Ryan.
    4. Dragnet.
    5. Apollo 13.

But he'd had quite a few awful ones, too: Money Pit, Turner and Hooch, The Burbs, Bonfire of the Vanities, Ladykillers.

And That Thing You Do would be his most encompassing thing; he directed it. To his credit, he basically turned his acting niche in that film into mere occasional codas, and let Thomas Everett Scott and Liv Tyler go to town. Which was to the movie's detriment, because neither has top-notch big-screen chops. But great for a drinking game: If you drink every time they play "That Thing You Do" or say "the Play-tone family of artists," you'd pass out before the film ended.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He hasn't Spacey-d us, but his last eight years or so have been pretty spare.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've always said that Bachelor Party was his best movie. Brilliant film.

I loved That Thing You Do as well. Didn't Hanks co-write the incredibly catchy title song?

And I'll give a shout out to the Toy Story movies too. I mean who else would you cast as Woody?

Draft saved Draft deleted