1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Hammond lay off the makeup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hacksaw2828, Feb 26, 2010.

1. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

Did anybody notice how much makeup they put on the dude for his figure skating commentary appearances? It was frightening. I know he is getting old but darn. Even it appeared the lady sitting next to him was too scared to look him in the face.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

NBC is apparently using the same make-up artist who dressed up the bodies of Saddam's sons.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Hey, the guy commented on his make-up. It's no reason to insinuate he's a Godless commie.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tom should layoff the deserts also by the looks of things

5. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

Yeah Tom is packing on the weight too. He has to be crushed now that the extent of his career has now come to calling Notre Dame games and figure skating. Heck, Tim Ryan isn't even around much anymore and at least he gets to do the ski stuff. But that is his cup of tea. I don't think I could sit there next to Scott Hamilton and listen to him crying long before I would think about hanging up the microphone for good.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I did talent stats for Tom Hammond for a college basketball broadcast once. I've been around a lot well-known media types, but I thought it was one of the coolest things I'd ever done to sit next to a guy I'd heard calling games literally since I was old enough to watch games, and a guy who has done so many different things.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hammond is one of the biggest, most versatile announcers NBC has left. College football, NFL playoffs, track and field, figure skating (the marquee events of the Olympics).

I don't think NBC has any interest in the baseball, basketball or car racing any longer. Can't blame them. I don't either.

8. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Different guy, different organization, same subject: Canadian curling commentator Russ Howard was in studio offering expert opinion for CTV. Looked like a talking cadaver.

9. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Ding, ding, ding! 1000 posts. I've browsed and listened more than I've commented, but I have learned a lot and I enjoy it here. Thanks, folks.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Think I read he'd had heart surgery in recent years. IMHO, Hammond is absolutely kick ass at calling track.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's not bad at horse racing either. He's kind of NBC's version of Verne Lundquist. You can stick them anywhere. I wonder what the thought process is that NBC goes through when assigning people. I've got to think the easiest sport to do at the Winter Olys is long-track speed skating, two skaters skating against the clock. And there he goes, he's skating, he's skating, he's skating, he's turning, he's turning and now he's skating again. I guess he won. Gee, he doesn't look very happy. And the Korean skater seems quite pleased with his silver. What? We're now learning that the guy didn't switch over eight laps back. Wow. How can a coach make a mistake like that.....wasn't he watching the race?

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Tom Hammond has taken over the most-makeup prize at NBC Sports from Hannah Storm.

Draft saved Draft deleted