1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Gage out as Detroit News' Tiger beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wishing Tom Gage a string of happy Tigers scoops, making the News look even sillier than it already does.

Smasher_Sloan likes this.
  2. bevo

bevo Member

Is see Fox Sports is now laying off writers. That didn't last long. There's no safe place to go in this business. Wonder how Gage fared?

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I heard FSD got rid of all their local writers including Gage. I believe their contracts expired at the end of May (pretty sure that's what one of them told me a few weeks ago).

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

You heard correctly, TG.

It also seems like bevo is right that it's happening across all the Fox Sports websites: Sources: FSD cutting all writers, including Tom Gage

5. bevo

bevo Member

So Gage had a contract that lasted two months?

6. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

End of June.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I think older journalists like Mr. Gage need to secretly tape and keep all emails when they are getting forced out. Age discrimination is supposed to be a no no. I would think you could sue and the higher ups who keep getting bonuses would have to pay up. I know most journalists are used to shabby treatment and just turn the other cheek, but it's time for the veterans who get kicked out the door to sue for age discrimination which is what it is.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Geez I just read some more on this issue. The guy is going in the Hall of Fame, not only gets demoted, but some punk middle manager tweets that response to further denigrade a Hall of Famer. What a punk. Management couldn't even resist the temptation to respond to Gage's innocent tweet. This newspaper has embarrassed itself beyond belief regarding Gage's dismissal. Hall of Fame one day; shown the door like he's worthless the next. This truly is the final straw. We now KNOW management doesn't give a shit about quality. Whoever tweeted that low class response to Gage's tweet should be ashamed.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Good luck to my Fox friends and former colleagues.

Knighthawk likes this.
  11. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Sunday's going to be brutal at Comerica - three writers with 90 years of experience covering the Tigers all covering what could be their last games.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Can you provide a copy of that tweet? I'd like to see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted