1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Friend -- What happened?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rockcrit88, Aug 16, 2010.

1. rockcrit88

rockcrit88 New Member

Does anybody know what happened to ESPN the Magazine senior writer Tom Friend? I've noticed it's been ages since he had a story in the magazine. Then, over the weekend, I got my new issue in the mail (college football preview) and his name isn't even on the masthead anymore?

I wonder if he left?

2. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

Isn't he the editor of espnlosangeles.com or whatever it's called?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

He just had a huge story on Gasol.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=friend_tom&page=drgasol-100806

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The Gasol article lists him as a senior writer for ESPN.com (doesn't mention ESPN the magazine). Maybe they simply moved him over to full-time Web and TV.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

The Gasol story was a great read. Friend really needs to do more work, he's excellent.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

How often do those ESPN writers write?

I know, I know, gotta be a big variance between the magazine folks vs. the dot.commers. But still, we're not talking local beat coverage. What's the byline count for a guy like Friend in a given year?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well if Jones was not run off, he would be a great person to ask.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Before you guys ask bylines counts, you should take a look at that Pau Gasol package.
    It was a multi-platform, bilingual package. This wasn't a 25" feature story.
    Point being, you don't hire Tom Friend, Chris Jones or J.R. Moehringer if you're looking for two features and five notebooks a week.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

No criticism or "jealousy" (this board seems to wallow in charges of that) implicit in my question that quantity is what matters and that ESPN writers, if they don't crank out large numbers of bylined stories, somehow are lacking or living on E-Z street.

I do think, however, that some of the specialness with which some writers are regarded is self-fulfilling. If you have to produce 10-15 stories a year, you have the opportunity to be good in ways that many talented folks cranking 250 stories a year do not. And while there's pressure to "hit a home run" each time you produce something in a low-volume job, it's still just sportswriting pressure, not heart surgeon or air traffic controller pressure.

But fishwrapper, there's no reason why someone can't ask for # of bylines, as informational thing about those types of jobs, AND take a look at the Pau Gasol package.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ok. Fair enough.
    But, you'll have to admit, the question usually comes from one place.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Both of you make good points. I have always felt byline counts are way overrated. An enterprise piece involving many sources that takes a lot of work is just not the same as calling a coach for a quick advance that might take 15 minutes to write.

Draft saved Draft deleted