1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Friend on William Perry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Herbert Anchovy, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Tom Friend is a good writer and this is a good story but it's an old story. Many have known about Perry's problem and written about it. Again, it's not a knock by any means against TF, but the story doesn't shed anything new.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's an update, by a guy who knows what he's doing. I'll take it.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ben, it's not an update. There is no new information in the story. Well written, yes. Updated information, no.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Links please, indicating that all the people who spoke to Friend have also said what they said to him elsewhere and all the information he reported on has been revealed elsewhere.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2010/06/21/1008225?sac=Sports
    http://www.thestate.com/2009/04/21/758361/william-the-fridge-perry-hospitalized.html

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Friend is on a roll.

Have enjoyed his stuff since the Alexandra Stevenson/Dr. J piece in BASW five or six years ago.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

TF has always been a good story teller, long before the Stevenson/Dr. J piece.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that's true. That is simply the first time I noticed him. That's on me, not him.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

How dare Friend think that he could expand on the five paragraphs in the Fayetteville story!!! Or the 10 inches of the State article!!!!

If ESPN.com really wanted to do its readers a service, it would have simply provided links to those two stories, and sent Friend elsewhere. Thanks for posting, Drip!

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Friend also wrote the excellent Eric Show piece a few months ago, which was similarly straightforward and maudlin-free.

This is a terrible disease. Joseph Heller and Andy Griffith also sufferers.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

The story has been in the Chicago papers too.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Drip, do you seriously believe the depth and health implications of Perry's alcohol use has been covered elsewhere? If so, you're reaing different articles than the ones you linked to. One of those articles even mentioned the extreme weight loss as a good thing, where Friend's article makes it clear that the opposite is true.

Draft saved Draft deleted