1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Friend on William Perry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Herbert Anchovy, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6091766

A great piece.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was a sad and excellent read. I can't imagine the Fridge has too much time left.

3. nmsports

nmsports Member

Wow. Not too many stories that length will hold a reader to the end. Riveting.

4. Sad and excellent is a spot-on description. Friend is one of the best.

The best thing about this story is Friend just tells it without any extras, really. Just phenomenal reporting and detail that makes for a compelling story. He doesn't have to dramatically wonder anything through most of this story -- as we all might be prone to do in this type of piece -- he's too busy showing you every step of the way.
    Makes it all the more powerful.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's a sad but old story about the Fridge.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Really felt the roller-coaster effect of Fridge getting all that love, in an intervention way, and getting pretty healthy again ... only to slip back into old habits and jeopardize his life once more.

Well-done. Friend stayed out of the way, which is more less than some of our more self-conscious scribblers would have done.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Excellent piece. Thanks for sharing, LJB.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Show me a hero, and I will show you a tragedy."

-- F. S. F.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It was the only proper way to write the story. No florid mush, no trying to get inside the guy's head, no artificial sweeteners. A straightaway and unblinking portrayal of self-destructiveness.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The guy was so quick on his feet for a lineman, it shocked you. Multiple minus points to Buddy Ryan for initially dismissing him out of hand.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

always the most effective way to tell a story, especially when the people involved let it fly with you.

most basic advice remains the best: when you have it, tell it. when you don't, write it.

for the most part, what people remember from a story are the facts/observations the writer put out there. no one has ever quoted a sentence or graf i or anyone else has put together in a piece; but they sure as heck can tell you what was in the piece and why it spoke to them...

12. Excellent points, but the one bolded really stands out for me. So true. It's stories like Friend's that remind you of the difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted