1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Dempsey... 63 yarder?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I just saw that highlight today. He clearly kicks it from between the Saints' 47 and 48.

Isn't field-goal distance determined by the last yard line that the ball is kicked from behind of?

Seems like it should be a 62-yarder in the books.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

holy shit, this is the most egregious d_b in the history of the Internet. :D

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Uh-oh.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'll be posting a nine-part youtube video about this shortly. I'm waiting for the delivery of t-shirts with my name on them.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You have me intrigued... did d_b show video of Al-Qaida chopping off the front of his kicking foot at birth?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Haha no that would be great!

I was merely saying you were saying Dempsey kicked a 63-yarder 37 years after the fact. Which of course you were not saying.

I'm sorry, all this anoiting oil has me a little loopy.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Coming up next: Sneakers -- did they give an illegal edge to the New York Giants in the 1934 title game against the Redskins...

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Didn't this kick occur before they moved the goal post back, and wasn't this kick one of the reasons why they moved them back?

If so, Dempsey's 63 yarder would have been from the 37. Not the 47.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dear master showman, that's "anointing".

I couldn't help myself.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yes... it was kicked between the 37 and 38.

My question remains the same, though.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I rode on the media bus to the Sugar Bowl next to Don Criqui, who called that field goal as it happened. We talked briefly about it. That was kind of fun.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Don Criqui had an incredible call of the Dolphins' hook and lateral against the Chargers 25 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted