1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom DeLay conviction overturned by Texas court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, he is guilty, so there is that.

But he's also rich, which explains everything.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think your typewriter has some keys that are sticking, but fortunately I was here to fix that for you ... :D

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The only "partisan" thing about Tom Delay as a Congressman was that he was partisan to money -- money padding him personally and money allowing him to control who else got into power to pad their pockets. People like him aren't "partisan" -- the way someone with political convictions might be called partisan. His only conviction was putting himself for sale to the highest bidders. See: Jack Abramoff, for example, who paid Delay with cash for quid pro quos to back or stop legislation.

Debate the legality of his sleaziness all you want. Debate the ethics of it.

But a congressman who accepts trips, gifts and campaign cash in return for using Federal legislation to hand out favors is scummy.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So basically in your mind every person in congress, state legislature, the senate and city councils everywhere are scummy because there ain't one who hasn't pulled this kind of nonsense

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

This one?

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/DeLay-gets-judge-thrown-off-his-case-2598136.php

Yeah, I don't think you can blame him for wanting that guy gone.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Don't you know? Conservatives aren't entitled to fair trials.

7. doctorquant

I'm not remotely disagreeing with you. But that's not the issue in this case.

You and the rest of the board might read up on Ronnie Earle, the Travis County (i.e., Austin) DA at the center of this fiasco. This guy was a piece of work. In the DeLay case he had one indictment thrown out, then in another go he couldn't get his grand jury to indict. The third time was the charm, though, but that was only after: 1) he put the DeLay case in front of them mere hours after they'd been impaneled; 2) he'd kept quiet, in violation of normal procedures, the second grand jury's "no bill" report.

Tom DeLay is neither a saint nor a martyr, but his prosecution in this "case" is a textbook instance of rank partisanship masquerading as jurisprudence. It won't surprise me at all when Earle, who has fallen off the radar since he couldn't make the DeLay case his springboard to statewide office, gets brought up on prosecutorial misconduct charges.

8. The Big Ragu

Doc, I don't care about your DA or his prosecution. I know that Tom DeLay is a sleazeball who undoubtedly belongs in jail for a bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with the your DA or his court case. And DeLay being scummy and a sleazeball, has nothing to do with political ideals some people here are dumb enough to think he has. He has the convictions of a hyena. He cares about one thing and that is lining his pockets.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/30/AR2005123001480.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/the_gist/2005/04/the_tom_delay_scandals.html

9. doctorquant

That may be true, but I'm a process kinda guy myself. Not a big believer in the means being justified by the ends.

10. The Big Ragu

I never said anything about means justifying the ends. I actually just said I wouldn't comment on the court case. I simply said DeLay is scummy.

11. doctorquant

Mistaken inference on my part ...

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Washington Post and Slate -- two sources you can sure will have bias as bad as -- or maybe even worse than -- that DA.

Draft saved Draft deleted