1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom DeLay conviction overturned by Texas court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 19, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like Tom DeLay will be going to jail:

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just waiting on Inky

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Another crook who got away with it.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That must have cost a small fortune

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whew. Now no judges will have to be assassinated.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Now he can go back to questioning anti-war protesters' patriotism.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, didn't he actually get one of the appeals court judges removed from hearing the case due to alleged bias? It wasn't an assassination, but it served its purpose. But maybe I am misremembering (always love a chance to work this word in, and we are talking about Texas).

In any case, they don't call him the "hammer" for nothing.

For what it is worth, I have no idea what the actual laws in Texas are regarding politicians laundering money that they get for trading their influence, and then using that money they got for promises of quid quo pros to get their cronies elected so they can otentially trade even more influence for even greater sums of money. ... so I won't comment on the appeals court decision, or what evidence you actually need of someone having done that other than a stack of checks with "Tom Delay graft" written on the memo line.

I just know it is scummy.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Did he? He lost his House seat and hugely-powerful leadership post.

DeLay still loses in the end big time.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's not as scummy as all that. Texas state law prohibits corporate donations in state elections. The laundering/conspiracy allegations involved him raising corporate money for his congressional accounts -- which was entirely legal -- then conveniently donating some of his congressional money to other races for state office -- which, again, was entirely legal. Essentially he found what he thought to be a loophole in Texas election law and proceeded to run with that. I'd agree that it's unseemly, but unseemly doesn't remotely rise to the level of criminal. I have it in my head that a devotion to jurisprudence wasn't the motivation behind DeLay's prosecution.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You say unseemly. I say scummy.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to ... let's call the whole thing off.

In all seriousness, you have an ultra-partisan Congressman being hauled into court by an ultra-partisan DA on an incredible straining of the law ... kinda hard to get worked up when the grown-ups call a halt to it all.

Draft saved Draft deleted