1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Clancy fans: Info, please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Alright, I give up and throw myself at the mercy of all-knowing SportsJournalists.commers. I've looked everywhere online for this answer, came up with nada. Anyone hear or read anything about whether Clancy is working on any new fiction? His publisher's website sucks, has no info on anything he is or isn't working on. A Ryan book (senior or junior), a Clark book... hell, I'd even take another Red Storm Rising-type at this point.

He's got some penance to do for Teeth of the Tiger, and that was out FIVE years ago...

So. Anyone?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think he's got more going with his computer-games line than anything else.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this recently. I think he might be a little worried that his right-wing, Saudi-loving prose might not be received as well as it used to be. And I say that as someone who used to pretty much block out the weekend after a new Jack Ryan novel would come out to do nothing but read it.

Plus, he can't figure out a way for Jesus to die again so Jack Ryan can be named Christ.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

what? I thought JR was JC

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd heard he was working on a new novel a couple of years ago. But if that were the case, I'd like to think it would have surfaced by now.

I remember reading Battle Born by Dale Brown. It was a book I found in the bargain bin somewhere. After forcing myself through a slow-moving first half and finding the second half tolerable, I read The Hunt For Red October. It wasn't long before I figured out what all the fuss was about with Clancy.

If I didn't force myself to only read that book one chapter at a time, I might have knifed through it in about a week or so. I wanted to remember more of the book, so I made sure to read it at a more deliberate pace. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed it immensely.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I like Clancy but in same genre I much prefer W.E. B Griffin. He is a prolific writer so the wait between books is not as long either.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can't read at that pace. I'd much rather read Clancy at my natural pace and go back and read again and again... I watch movies I like more than once, I dont have that problem with books.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Haven't seen any mention of Tom Clancy in any of the publishing industry/book-review mags I regularly read. Seems like he's making his money licensing his name to a video game series now.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm reading the latest OSS book. Love his stuff.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Might give Griffin a shot after I get that new RFK book by Clarke (the Vanity Fair excerpt hooked me).

As for reading style, I'm a very fast reader (or, at least, determined -- I've been known to sit in my car at the bookstore and peel off a coupla hundred pages), but I do what slappy does. I revisit again and again. Must have read each Clancy book at least 20 times each by now. Same with any book I enjoy... Patrick O'Brien's books, John Sandford, historical books, etc.
    Oddly, sports-themed books I read only once, usually.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Teeth of the Tiger certainly seemed to naturally set up a sequel(s).

I haven't seen a word, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted