1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Brokaw: It's time to put the Correspondents' Dinner out to pasture

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, May 7, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good take here from Brokaw. He says that the event alienates the American people that the press is supposed to be serving:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/75992.html

“Look, I think George Clooney is a great guy. I’d like to meet Charlize Theron,” he said. “But I don’t think the big press event in Washington should be that kind of glittering event where the whole talk is about Cristal champagne, taking over the Italian Embassy, who had the best party, who got to meet the most people. That’s another separation between what we’re supposed to be doing and what the people expect us to be doing, and I think that the Washington press corps has to look at that.”

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the event serves a very useful purpose. It reminds Americans why they hate politics, the media and celebrities, in short, it reminds them TV sucks.

3. Mediator

Mediator Member

It gives the impression we're all in this together, even though we pretend to be objective.

It is a dinosaur.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As much as I love watching it, he's probably right...

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...but enough about Moddy. What's Brokaw think of the actual event?

;)

6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Priorities. Pro Bowl first, than this.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Is this really a revelation? This has been apparent for years. The NYT even refuses to attend. I suppose there's something to Brokaw admitting this in public--unlike most of the journalists attending the D.C. circlejerk--but I'd be pretty disturbed if he hadn't reach this conclusion a long time ago.

8. blkbamabelle

blkbamabelle New Member

Can I just ask who gives a flip? Maybe Mr. Brokaw is upset because he hasn't been invited to one of these things in awhile and he is not as relevant as he use to be. It's the President and the press having fun or have as Americans gotten so serious that we have forgotten how to do that? Suck it up Tom!

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gonna go out on a limb and guess Brokaw could get a ticket.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I agree with Brokaw.

12. Mediator

Mediator Member

Yeah I don't think this is just Brokaw being jealous and petty here.

Draft saved Draft deleted