1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom and Katie: Does anyone REALLY care?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Nov 19, 2006.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I'm beginning to think either I'm crazy or the only sane person around. It's Sunday morning and, as I'm reading my paper, I've got the TV on for morning news. I'm switching around from CBS to NBC to ABC and, each of these lustrous "news" depots are leading their morning newscast with the Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes wedding. Now, please tell me I'm not crazy when I say this is in no way lead material for a news source. But there was Campbell Brown on NBC saying, "It's what everybody's talking about this morning."

Well, sorry, but I wasn't talking about it. Nor did I care one whit about it. Am I crazy and this was really news, more important than Iraq, Bush in Vietnam, Ohio St. winning. I just can't take people trying to tell me this story was significant. It's a one graf short for my money.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

You cared enough to post this thread and, unfortunately, I cared enough to post that this thread is useless (with or without photos).

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Yes, it is completely blown out of proportion, but that's what our society does...

P.S. The moniker 'TomKat' makes me looney. "TomKat gets married!"
    AAAARRRRGGHHH! How fucking stupid.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Liz Smith does . . . her column's largely the billboard of gay-star activities, around the world.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I care ...

[​IMG]

6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Claws: The reason I started this thread was to see if any of you cared. That doesn't mean I do, it means I can't believe how others are overdoing it. And it is primarily TV (maybe radio but I don't know that). The two papers I read today did not have it on p. 1, thank you very much. Yet TV puts it on their p. 1. Why?

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm proud to say that I thought this was about Brokaw & Couric before I clicked.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

As someone who fits the tabloid TV/magazine demographic perfectly, I'm proud to say I don't give a fuck about Tom and Katie.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

All part of the government conspiracy to dullen us to the harsh realities of life. [/adjusting my tinfoil hat]

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

[​IMG]

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Considering how many networks sent reporters to Italy, I think it's safe to say that people definitely care...

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I thought the exact same thing but damn if the dress is full-length and shoes cannot be seen.
    I wonder if Tom jumps on the couch at his own house? Or does that break some Scientology rule?

Draft saved Draft deleted