1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toledo switches homecoming date because of Yom Kippur

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Jul 9, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Anyone ever heard of a school doing this for this specific reason? The first thing that came to mind was that rising senior women's basketball player Naama Shafir is an Orthodox Jew (and the best player on the team)...but would one player from another sport warrant changing the date of homecoming so she could take part in the festivities. There really isn't a large Jewish population in Toledo either.
    Just a strange reason that I have never heard of before.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whenever it reaches the NCAA basketball tournament, BYU always plays the Thursday-Saturday games because Mormons aren't supposed to work on Sunday.
  3. shockey

shockey Active Member

first thing i thought was, 'hmmm. i wonder which new star they've recruited is a member of the tribe?' ??? ??? ???
  4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Winnipeg Jets home opener is on the Sunday after the NHL season opens for the same reason. Gary Bettman and team owner Mark Chipman are affected.
  5. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

It may not be large, but there's enough of a Jewish population in the Toledo area that it's noticeable. There's a large temple and community center complex about 10-15 minutes northwest of UT. I grew up in the suburb in which the JCC is located, and the excused absence rate at school on Jewish holidays was in the 10 percent range.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

NFL a few years ago had a Jets or Giants home game scheduled for 4:15 p.m. Eastern but moved it to 1 p.m. because of Yom Kippur beginning at sundown.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sandy Koufax once refused to pitch a World Series game because it fell on Yom Kippur.
  8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I recall Temple moving a circa 2000 football game to a Thursday night at Franklin Field because of Yom Kippur.
  9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

College basketball team I covered 12-15 years ago had an all-conference player who was Seventh Day Adventist and wouldn't play from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. It wasn't a very well disguised coincidence that all their league games on the road were scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday afternoon.
  10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Active Member

The public high schools in Ann Arbor, Mich., with sports are very mindful of the Jewish holidays and schedule sports around them. It seems like there's every walk of life in the three schools. They're just showing respect to a percentage of their students.

The public schools in Dearborn, Mich., have to schedule the school year around the Muslim and Christian calendars, which is a feat in itself because the Muslim calendar doesn't follow the traditional 12-month calendar everyone else uses. Ramadan, for example, is never at exact time every year. About half the students in the district are Muslim, including 99.9 percent at one of the three high schools.

You simply do what you have to do to accommodate your constituency.
  11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you were Shawn Bradley, you didn't work the other six days either.
  12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's typically easy enough to do, and so long as it's feasible, why not?
Draft saved Draft deleted