1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toledo gets out the blade

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, bad pun.
    Anyway from The Pipeline:

FYI, the Toledo Blade is planning to lay off 15.5 full-time positions tomorrow. That's about 15 % of the newsroom. All will be done by seniority, and what's most frustrating is that the Blade has hired about seven reporters this year, including one who started just three months ago. =( No buyouts were offered. They also laid off two managers last week.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

If all of this is being done WHY did they make any hires?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Human Resources screwup, I reckon.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bullshit. No company falls like this so fast Ace, especially one that is as insolated as The Blade.

5. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

I know of at least one paper that was given permission to fill a vacant job only to be told 24 hours later that it had to freeze the position again.

It makes little sense, but I imagine it has a lot to do with the disconnect between corporate and the newsroom - especially at papers with multiple holdings. Corporate may tell you, OK here's your budget, and then forces you to cut people when dire projections come in from one of it's other properties.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know one of the photogs at the Blade. She mentioned her boss had gotten cut, and that she's the lowest seniority photog... hope she survives...

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Blade is a union shop and, I think, they went to a different hiring rate a few years back.... if that's so, then the people get chopped are the folks at the top of the pay scale and the newbies, well, they're making a whole lot less on another kind of scale that will never get them to where the people leaving are at.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Dudem, you should know all about Human Resources screwups.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ouch

10. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

That's what she said.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dudem, I have no idea what you are talking about unless you are referring to your working in Toledo.

12. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

"I thought by now you'd realize
    There ain't no way to hide your lying I's"

Draft saved Draft deleted