1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toledo Blade

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

If the retaliated, he'd be unemployed.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There are plenty of ways to retaliate.

3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Did they discriminate against or harass him?

4. TheSportsPredictor

Doesn't appear to be discrimination. Don't know if the union is arguing that taking his beat away is harassment or a different form of retaliation. Don't know how they classify it. It appears to be unique and in response to his criticism of management.

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I still consider him lucky, especially in a no-cause state like Ohio, that he still has a paycheck. They could argue he was promoted, if he wants to charge retaliation.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Perhaps the only reason he wasn't fired is that he's in a union, so it would look much more like retaliation if he were fired after the comments.

7. Nick the sports writer really appears to be going scorched earth on Twitter. Not what I’d do. Certainly not what I’d suggest for him to do. But, if he’s that unhappy, he might have one foot out the door; I remember working the breaking news beat early in my career and it was enough to make me want to quit, too.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I thought Col. Jessup's deal was scorched earth.

Col. Nathan R. Jessup likes this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This happened a long time ago but I knew a guy who worked on the chain of suburban weeklies. Their most prominent reporter wrote a feature story on his experience as a part-time cab driver. I asked my buddy why the star reporter had to moonlight.

He said the guy had reported management to the state for violations of overtime laws. The paper had lost and had to pay staff a lot of money. My buddy said this made the cab driver a hero among staff. But management had decided that they could not risk a law suit by firing him but they were never going to give him another raise.

So the star reporter had to get a second job. But at least he got his picture in the paper driving his cab.

10. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Update: The NLRB is now involved.

garrow and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted