1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toledo Blade

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

But that's not what they're doing, asking people to pitch in. They're discontinuing coverage of Ohio State and Michigan, and reducing the University of Toledo and BG coverage. The Blade is the paper of record for UT and I'm not understanding how reducing that beat work isn't a slap in the face.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The idea of a “paper of record,” unfortunately, is quaint. It’s been replaced by such phrases as “the paper of interest.”

SFIND, FileNotFound and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Whatevs. Point stands

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but it's what's happening.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Team players are extinct because of the suits. Why would anybody covering a pro team or college agree to help out in other departments just to make sure the CEO gets his/her bonus. The job of reporter has no more romantic notion to it. Being a reporter is one of the worst jobs one can have in America. I know individuals who have received no raises in more than 10 years; with furloughs their pay has gone down. Team player? That's in the past. Enough sports writers work 60 and get paid 40 already.

6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Reducing coverage of Ohio State/Michigan is one thing. It can be argued that while Toledo is in a unique position for content of both schools, the likelihood is that other outlets do more comprehensive coverage.

Taking the same approach to Bowling Green and Toledo, however, is asinine and emblematic of the same decisions newspaper executives made in the nascent days of the internet.

This would be the perfect opportunity to make Bowling Green/Toledo coverage subscriber only, to try and utilize the exclusive coverage to drive digital subscriptions. Instead, they're giving people another reason not to read.

Liut, SFIND, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If it’s that important, then the paper can shell out resources to pay for it.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Sorry .. I used to work there and know most of the people affected so I'm probably reading into it differently than most.

9. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Management takes its turn....

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not sure the union wins that one.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Nick should be glad he still has a job at all. Rip your employer publicly? Not a good strategy. I've worked for some epic a-holes and nobody ever knew they were epic a-holes until long after I was done with them. Nick got off light.

wicked likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So you are saying they retaliated.

Draft saved Draft deleted