1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toledo Blade columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by kbb, Jan 16, 2007.

1. kbb

kbb Member

From what I'm told, Musselman wasn't canned because he is a prick, but because his columns sucked. I read a few of them online, and they were pretty much devoid of opinion, information or emotion.

2. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Another shout for Hack. Good guy, good work.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Update: Sources tell me Musselman had a local media piece in today's Peach section. :) :) :) :)

4. satchmo

satchmo Member

yup

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070117/ART18/701170392

5. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

So is the step up or a step down...or sideways? I liked the last media columnist...Russ Lemon he wasn't bad

6. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Hack is a writer's writer. Great guy, easily approachable and always willing to help. When I covered the MAC I learned a lot from him.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Just another chime for Dave Hackenberg. ... When I was still a snot-nosed college kid, I covered a few MAC Tournaments up in Cleveland and normally ran into Hack. He was always open to conversation and invited me to join him at his table more than a few times. When you're 19 or 20 and still breaking in, that's kinda neat. The promotion couldn't have gone to a nicer guy -- and a very good writer.

8. Musselman was in Miami Tuesday and wrote something about Grossman for the sports front. I wonder if he'll be writing columns for the Peach and Sports sections?

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

The content isn't bad, but the design of that paper makes me think of someone just vomiting a whole bunch of stories on a page and calling it a day.

10. I agree.

11. Don't know anything about the Toledo job, but I feel compelled to post here to defend Musselman. Yes, he can be prickly in his opinions --- even if his opinions don't really show up in his columns --- and he was a pretty polarizing figure in our newsroom a few years back, but for me he was always one of the more helpful guys around. Plus, he was always a blast when he expounded on our dysfunctional shop. I was sad to see him leave us when he did, and I hope things work out for him.

12. Being an hour away from Detroit is a selling point — if you don't mind trailer-park life. Being at the Blade? If you can stand the job cuts and a crazy family running the joint. The Guild money probably eases the pain. For now.

Draft saved Draft deleted