1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toledo Blade columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by kbb, Jan 16, 2007.

1. kbb

kbb Member

Sources tell me that Ron Musselman is out as the Toledo Blade's sports columnist ... he was sent packing to some other department of the paper. Apparently most of the staffers in sports are thrilled. Dave Hackenberg, who should have been the columnist all along, will take over that gig full-time when the University of Toledo's basketball season is over. I guess that means there will be an opening for a beat writer at some point.
  2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Pretty decent paper, and Detroit is an hour away. If you can handle Toledo, it'd be a pretty good gig.
  3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Couldn't have happened to a more miserable prick.

Musselman is intolerable.
  4. boots

boots New Member

This just in from the boots pipeline. Blade may or may not fill the opening quickly. Muss can be a prick but he has been known to be helpful many times.
  5. WSKY

WSKY Member

I don't think telling people Detroit is an hour away would be a top selling point — unless you're in need of some crack. A better selling point would be that Windsor is an hour and five minutes away.
  6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And now that Michigan has made cheating on your wife a potential life-term felony, you might want to reconsider the selling points of the job.
  7. Hack's golf stuff is top notch.
  8. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

You are correct sir. Others may know the whole story, but when Musselman got the columnist gig, it was over Hack (as mentioned earlier), who then went to UT.

At the same time, Wagner was taken off BG and there was some other reshuffling, apparently the result of a behind-the-backs crusade by a couple of staff members (one of whom really surprised me). Either way, IMO, Hack was wasted on the UT beat, and -- this is jusy my theory -- his work suffered because of his placement there. (Is that contradictory? Maybe. But it makes sense to me.)
  9. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

If they fill the job, there's a guy there on the news side who used to have the job I currently hold covering a D3 college and Cleveland pros. From what I hear, he'd like to get back into sports. Don't look too hard for them to fill it outside.
  10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Where do the union talks stand, as it were?
  11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The Blade will just have to remind those who apply that cheating on their wife in Detroit will be the equivalent of getting their penis cut off, so if you're going to have an extramarital affair, do it in Ohio or Ontario.
  12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The Guild would have a lot to do with that.
Draft saved Draft deleted