1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toledo asks Big East to vacate Syracuse's win

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dr. J, Sep 25, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe not a Toledo win, but avoid a Big East loss to a lowly MAC school ;)

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Yeah, there are only about 750 new stories, blogs and web postings about this game TODAY. Yeah, probably won't hear anything more about it.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Toledo's AD was on the radio in Cleveland this morning. He was asked if the situation were reversed, would he have Toledo vacate the win. He sure dodged that question.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Somewhere in the back of mind I want to say an Ivy League had this happen in the 1930s. Maybe Cornell. They won on a screwup and then gave the win back. Ended up being their only loss of the season and cost them a national title.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's the place no one wants to go.

"Son of a bitch drove drunk and hit my kid. I want him locked up for life."

But what if your kid drove drunk and hit someone? Would you demand he be locked up for life? Of course not.

Hypocrites "Я" Us

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I haven't seen the play, but looking at it from the sideline would work. If the ball disappears behind the goal post, it's good. If it crosses in front of the goal post, it missed. That assumes the kick wasn't higher than the posts though.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

1940 against Dartmouth. My Big Red were given 5 downs at the end (there was a delay of game penalty on 4th down and then after an incomplete pass, the ref called for 4th down again) and scored a TD as time expired to win 7-3. Cornell forfeited after the game when someone pointed out the mistake.

We had won the national title the year before and were ranked No. 1 at the time. But I think they lost the following game as well.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I wasn't comparing the bad calls, just wondering how these morons in the booth can miss something that millions of people can see plain as day on their TVs at home.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Big East and Syracuse ought to tell Toledo to go jump in a lake. I would like the Bush administration vacated due to them having stolen Florida in the supreme court - but o it don't work that way.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Notice how the official under the post the ball went wide up barely looked up. This happens so often in games, I think they're told not to make a great effort to look. I'm not sure he saw a think, given the bill of his cap may be in the way.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The first time that word has ever been used correctly in the history of the board.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ironic you should say that.

Draft saved Draft deleted