1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toledo asks Big East to vacate Syracuse's win

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dr. J, Sep 25, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Surprise...no change to be made:

http://www.toledoblade.com/UT/2011/09/26/UT-Syracuse-score-to-go-unchanged.html

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Why the fuck would a replay official only look at the sideline angle when reviewing whether an extra point is good? Did he think that the question was whether an extra point kick traveled far enough to reach the goalposts? There were a whole bunch of other angles available we saw on TV that clearly showed it was no good, so he never bothered to look at any of those?

That's just about the dumbest explanation I've ever heard. If there's any truth to it, that replay official needs to be fired immediately for he is WAY too stupid to hold that job.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Stony, exactly right. That is why this is leaving such a bad taste in everyone's mouth...the explanation is nearly as bad as the call. Sounds like a big, fat cover-up for the fact the Big East crew screwed the MAC team to save the Big East team from an embarassing loss.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've seen kicks where it was very difficult to tell if they were good or not.

That was not one of those kicks...

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Honestly, the BE would look better in my eyes if their official explanation was "the replay official was drunk and had bet money on Syracuse" than that ridiculous excuse. Just jaw dropping incompetence.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

League officials from the SEC are each asking themselves, "was that wrong?"

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It's unbelievable the decisions these guys come up with, that they over-analyze things that we can see clearly on our TVs and come up with the wrong call.
    It didn't affect the outcome of the game, but there was another instance in the UCLA-Oregon State game. Beaver dude was running down the sideline. Bruins DB had the angle, dragged the guy down and his butt landed out of bounds at about the 3-yard line. The runner lunged forward and knocked down the pylon with the ball, but he was clearly OB before that. The sideline ref just saw the pylon go flying and signaled touchdown. They reviewed it for about 5 minutes and kept it a touchdown.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

BTW, here's another little tidbit from that article that warrants mention:

Wow, what a coincidence!

I can't remember another blown call controversy that had quite the stench this one does. The 5th down game, that kid being robbed of the perfect game, Don Denkinger, etc.--I can at least see how those could result from human error, especially since they didn't have the benefit of instant replay correction in those cases. But it's reaallly hard to comprehend how an entire Division I officating crew could've missed this, not once but also on replay, unless someone there wanted it missed.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The on-field crew & replay officials that worked the Oklahoma-Oregon game in Eugene a few years ago don't see a problem with any of this.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Sorry, but there's no comparison between that situation and this on the bad call scale.

This one required absolutely no analysis or interpretation at all, it was as easy and black and white as a call can possibly be: either the ball went through the uprights or it did not, and every replay (except, apparently, the one the official chose to look at) clearly and undisputably showed that it did not. I can see how reasonable minds might differ on the OSU/UCLA call, it's unfathomable on this one.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I have a feeling we are going to hear a lot more about this game. The replay ref should be fired and investigated. No logical reason for this at all.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

What more are you going to hear? The refs screwed up. It's not some big plot to deny Toledo a win -- heck, they had the ball inside the Syracuse 10 with a minute to go and basically played for the tying FG.

Draft saved Draft deleted