1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tokyo to host 2020 Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Japanese capital beats out Istanbul 60-36 in the final round of the balloting at the IOC meeting in Beunos Aires. Madrid came in third.

Thus, Asia will host back-to-back Olympics, with South Korea set to host the 2018 Winter Games.

Not real surprised, as it looked like Tokyo was the favorite among the three finalists.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Tokyo might have melted down by then. I was hoping Madrid or Istanbul. :(

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Istanbul is unique city ... but 99 percent Muslim.
    Too much risk of an incident there, compared to Tokyo.
    That's just the state of the global times we live in at the moment.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. The entire Middle East region looks like a powder keg at the moment. I've got no objections to Tokyo.

If you look at the past 30 years or so, you notice a rotation between Europe, the Americas and Asia/Australia.

1980, Moscow
    1984, Los Angeles
    1988, Seoul
    1992, Barcelona
    1996, Atlanta
    2000, Sydney
    2004, Athens
    (skip the Americas this time around)
    2008, Beijing
    2012, London
    2016, Rio de Janeiro
    2020, Tokyo
    2024... Europe's turn

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Godzilla is the 2:1 favorite to be the mascot

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2024: Toronto -- or Havana if they've rejoined the civilized world by that time.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I would love to see Havana get 2024. And I'd love to be able to go then.

8. Starman

If Cuba has "flipped" by 2024 or 2028, I could see a multi-national Caribbean Olympics including Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti, the Bahamas, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. Maybe played off-season.

There will never be another Olympics (either season) in the U.S. in my lifetime, which bothers me not the slightest whit.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Would have thought South Africa would have gotten into the mix by now. Some talk of 2024.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

2022 -- Denver

11. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Not until at least 2026:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/sports/olympics/us-olympic-committee-decides-not-to-bid-for-2022-games.html?_r=0

12. Starman

Between the huge number of major movers in the IOC who want to stick it to the U.S. with a red-hot poker, and the problems with getting public support behind such projects in the U.S., I expect no Games in the U.S. for probably 30-40 years or more, by which time I will most certainly shuffled off the mortal coil.

Whether it's in Beijing, Barcelona or five miles down the freeway, I ain't getting any tickets and I ain't getting in, so I don't give a shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted