1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toddler falls to death at Lakers game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'd have no interest in suing. No amount of money, no matter how many zeroes, can bring back this child if he were mine. And that's the only thing I would want.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I agree, JC. All I'm saying is that I'm not gonna be so quick to judge these people if they do sue. I might do the same thing. I don't know. I hope I never have to make that call.

Edit: Kirk: It's easy to say that now. But you never know....

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well if there's lots of alcohol involved it wouldn't matter how big they are

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Would you sue even if you knew that the Staples Center was not at fault? To me that would be blood money. You're right though, nobody knows how they'd react if god forbid something like this was to happen to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I really think for most of these people it's not about the money.

How would you know the Staples Center isn't at fault? People don't approach everyday situations rationally, they see them through the lens of their own point of view. Take something this emotionally charged, and it'd be easy to be convinced that it was someone else's fault, whether it is or not. Same reason every comments section is filled with criminals' friends and family who don't think the police and the judge and the media were fair to their friend/cousin/son/whatever.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One of these days the parents of a dead child left for hours in a hot automobile will sue the automaker for "allowing" its vehicles to reach 120F in the summer with the windows rolled up.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow, what a commentary on the digital age. According to the LA Times, the parents were so immersed in looking at the pictures they had just taken of the boy with their digital camera that they weren't looking at the boy himself.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/11/parents-were-taken-photos-moments-before-boy-fell-from-lakers-luxury-box.html

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not surprising.

Just take a look at that video of the choir singing at the mall food court.

Instead of just soaking in a cool moment and enjoying it, dozens find the need to "record" it on their mobile devices.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If the family sues, it won't get to court. AEG (or whoever they try to squeeze) will quietly pay them some money, and it will all go away.

Yeah, Staples Center has only been around for a decade, and they've only won five titles there, but you never had a chance to see it on TV or anything.

I think 93Devil, I think Useless NBA Takes.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Those 5 titles don't count since the main contributor didn't go to college.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Including, I suppose, possibly the Staples Center for building an unsafe suite? Why is "personal responsibility" limited to individuals? Shouldn't businesses show personal responsibility by maintaining safe facilities for their customers?

And, no, I probably wouldn't sue my friend if my kid fell down the stairs and hurt himself. But this has nothing to do with what I would do. This is the same misdirection as the Warren Buffett thread. It doesn't matter what I would do. It matters what people have a right to do. And people have a right to sue if they suffer damages due to someone else's negligence. If they didn't, then businesses and individuals could just have death traps around their premises with absolute impunity.

But again, this is SportsJournalists.com, and every fucking choice is binary. Either all lawsuits are meritorious, or none are. There is no in-between around here. No nuance. Never, ever, ever. Two choices in every situation.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How many other people or toddlers have fallen since the Staple Center has opened? Should they put netting around the luxury boxes?

They have the right to do whatever the Fuck they want, doesn't make it right.

Draft saved Draft deleted