1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toddler falls to death at Lakers game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, there is also the possibility that the structure was actually negligently designed and the company should be held to account for that.

Like I said on the thread about the Notre Dame videographer, I could sue in an instance like this, but I couldn't keep and enjoy the money. The check would go straight to charity.

That aside, as a hardened journalism veteran, few stories upset me. This one hits me in the gut. I'm also the parent of a toddler.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Having a hard time picturing that.

3. Dick Whitman

Picturing what? The arena being at fault for poor design? Why?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I mean...say you had a lawyer who thinks you have a damn good shot to win some big, big money by suing....

But you're right...no one knows for sure how they'd react.

5. Dick Whitman

I'm all for suing on principle.

I just can't imagine tooling around in my Mercedes that I bought with my kid death money.

6. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

How awful that this happened. Very tragic. I feel for those parents.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because the danger is inherent if you are in a luxury suite 50 feet above the next level. Unless the floor or a guard rail gave way to a toddler's weight, I can't envision a design flaw so faulty.

I have been in steep arenas where a person could easily fall down the steps and break his neck. Would that be the arena's fault?

There are certain obvious risks involved when climbing stairs and being around balconies.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Seriously? The Forum?

9. Dick Whitman

You're right.

But the comparison is not 50-foot balcony: Ground level.

The comparison is 50-foot balcony: Other 50-foot balconies.

Was this suite up to safety standards of 50-foot balconies in general? Or was it foreseeable that a toddler could fall out of there to his death?

You may be right. But without more information, none of us know the answer to that.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have you ever been to a sporting event where you thought it was OK to let a 2-year-old out of your sight?

11. Dick Whitman

Can't the parents and the Lakers both be at fault?

Why does it have to be binary?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's amazing. I had my mom, brother and two nephews (2 and 5 years old) over to the house a couple weeks ago. We all spent the majority of our time that day watching after the 2 year old, making sure he didn't fall down the stairs leading to the basement. I'm telling you; it was a goddamn job! 2 year olds couldn't give a shit less about what you tell them is a no-no. They keep going back. It's hard to tell how many times one of us lunged at him as he got dangerously close to the stairs. All. Damn. Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted