1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Todd Marinovich, the Happy Ending

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Dec 14, 2011.

1. mrbio

mrbio Member

Anyone see the artwork by Todd? It's fantastic, the man is a very very talented artist, really like the works of Montana, Bradshaw, Jimi Hendrix, Tom Waits, Lou Reed. www.toddmarinovich.com

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was in the stands as a high schooler. My best friend in high school's father was a USC alum and we went to the UCLA-USC game every year.

Best game of anything I've ever seen. I would have bet just about anything that Marinovich and Maddox were going to be huge NFL stars.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We were doing an end of the century blowout of the best players and the best games of the last century and he was on the list of the best high school players ever and one of the best games ever.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm enjoying the fact that after participating in this thread, I'm getting a strip ad on the bottom of the page for something called Sober College, which his not your ordinary rehab.

Got to love online marketing.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I watched the documentary over the weekend and was impressed with how self-effacing Marinovich is. Not quite to the Chris Herron level, but Todd seemed pretty at peace all things considered. The film also goes to great lengths to show that while everyone around Todd though Marv was insane and irresponsible, Todd doesn't seem to think so.

Then again, that could all be part of the 12 steps, I don't know. But there doesn't seem to be much bitterness there.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think it's insane as a parent to want the best for you kid and to want to give him/her every advantage.

But you also have to allow kids to be kids.

And you need a certain type of mentality to be QB. If you don't have that leadership quality, you'll never make it.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't it read "want the best for me kid"?

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If you've never read Mike Sager's story from Esquire, it's a great read. National Magazine Award winner.

http://www.esquire.com/features/the-game/todd-marinovich-0509

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

His art is really pretty good. I'm impressed. Who knows where he might have wound up if he hadn't been pushed into sports.

10. Boom_70

Maybe if Marv was an artist instead of a football coach, Todd's art talents would have been further nurtured.

Either way they guy was born with a few talents that most do not have.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Can you eat Big Macs if you are into art?

Hell, I ate a lot of Big Macs and all it got me was fat. I'm neither an athlete nor an artist.

12. Boom_70

Isn't a wordsmith kind of like being an artist?

Draft saved Draft deleted