1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Todd Marinovich, the Happy Ending

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Dec 14, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Heard Marinovich on the radio driving in today with everyone's favorite, Cowherd. They were talking up a Marinovich segment on the WWL (30/30 I think). I followed the story since he was drafted by the local Raiders and had the short USC career along with reading in SI about the ban on McDonald's growing up. After the drug addiction came to light I did not have high hopes for him.

Hearing him today, I got a great feeling hearing how he appears to have learned to overcome his addiction and how he loves being a father and is great friends with his dad. He just sounded so calm and happy in a grounded way. I'm happy for him.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That was a great 30/30 - perhaps the best.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Doesn't it seem anachronistic now that not letting a kid eat McDonald's was considered so weird back then? Seems like it would be considered pretty normal now.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I know several parents who you could argue are almost as strict with what their kids eat.

Then again, Marv Marinovich had a plan. Normal parents who don't let their kids eat sugar are just assholes... :D

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Watched the documentary last night. Although I'm happy for him, I'm not convinced it's over. His last relapse was less than two years ago. (Side note: I had no idea the "Marijuanavich" stuff started in high school. I thought it was well into his USC career before he went off the rails.) Maybe the fact that he's married to a former addict will actually help in that she would see the signs before anyone else might.

The Marv dynamic is incredibly strange. Todd says how great Marv has been throughout his life, but I think that's more of a coping mechanism to help him live from this day forward.

6. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

He was a pretty decent Arena QB in Milwaukee.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It went way beyond that.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I haven't seen all of the 30 for 30 yet, but I've interviewed Marinovich and his childhood was insane.

His father was also very open about it. But I would bet that what Marv did wouldn't be much different than what Andre Agassi, Mary Pierce, Tiger Woods, among others went through...

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I really enjoyed the film. He's the same age as me, or close, so I remember all the hype and followed him as he crashed and burned.

I think the disservice his dad did to him wasn't so much "forcing" him into 24/7 football, but it was by teaching an all-or-nothing ethic. He was all-in with the football stuff. He would become all-in with the party culture.

And I don't completely blame dad for that. I think it's in the DNA too.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Lot of parallels between Marinovich and Herren, although Marinovich had the dad factor that complicated everything. And like Longtime said, I don't think it's over for either of them, which I'm sure they'd both admit as well.

It would have been interesting to see if he would have turned out better if the Raiders hadn't drafted him. Maybe it all ends the same way, but if he could have gotten away from LA, it could have changed a lot of things.

Draft saved Draft deleted