1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's Top 10: Top 10 Super Bowls of All-Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A DEAD middle 50 minutes of the game drops it for me.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Super Bowl X was probably the most physically brutal SB of them all. Two teams roided and coked up out of their minds trying to murder each other.

And it was the Super Bowl setting for "Black Sunday".

As good as the Patriots-Panthers Super Bowl was, there was pretty much a dearth of offense during the first and third quarters. I do believe the fourth quarter of that game was better than the fourth quarter of Sunday's game.

But a list. Hmmm

1) XLII -- Without being alive in 1969, I have to believe last year's upset was equal to the infamous Jets-Colts game. And the Giants effort on defense was very impressive.

2) XXXII -- Great game, snapped a 12-year NFC winning streak and got John Elway his first championship.

3) XLIII -- Not the best fourth quarter but Harrison's 100-yard interception return goes down as one of the top five plays in SB history.

4) XXV -- The Giants' game plan was a thing of beauty and the fact that Buffalo pretty much capitalized the few chances they had with the ball adds to the enjoyment. Thurman Thomas still deserved the MVP.

5) XXIII -- I love this game. Underdog Bengals putting up a man-sized fight. Jerry Rice first step to being the greatest of all-time and Joe Cool moving the Niners 90+ yard as if it were a July scrimmage.

6) XXXVIII -- Best fourth quarter ever. Jake Delhomme's completion percentage wasn't pretty but he played the game of his life. John Kasay probably kept us from an overtime game.

7) X -- Call me crazy, I liked this one. It was glorification of violence. Sad that my beta tape of this finally crapped out after about 18 years.

8) XXXVI -- Much like SB XXV it was a terrific defensive gameplan, albeit one that banked on the officials unwillingness to turn the game into a flag fest. Still great finish, undeserving MVP (Ty Law was my choice).

9) XXXIV -- Great second half, Warner throws for 414, Steve McNair did things he hadn't done since he was at Alcorn State. I never felt like the Titans were going to lose that game until they lost it.

10) XVIII -- Since I had to add a blowout this is my favorite because I think the 1983 Raiders are the most underrated Super Bowl team in history, their roster was loaded. It included the dumbest play call in SB history (Theismann to Jack Squirek) and a total shutdown of a nearly unstoppable offense.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only thing good about covering that piece of shit was Ray Charles singing "America the Beautiful"

4. Mizzougrad96

1. Niners over Broncos
    2. Niners over Chargers
    3. Niners over Bengals I
    4. Niners over Bengals II
    5. Niners over Dolphins (Hi Simon!!!!)
    6. Raiders over Eagles
    7. Raiders over Redskins

5. Simon_Cowbell

I was at that game with my brother. Got there when gates opened 3 hours early.

Was on TV eating a hot dog in a quick cut to the stadium before ABC went back to some figure skating event.

Almost hated Tony Bennett after that game... almost.

I'd give body parts to live out there.

6. Mizzougrad96

I grew up about 30 minutes from where the game was played. Beautiful city, expensive as fuck and if you make a wrong turn you're in one of the worst areas in the country. East Palo Alto has had the highest murder-per capita in the country several times.

If you want a 3-bedroom townhome near Stanford's campus, you're talking seven figures. It's fucking insane.

7. Mizzougrad96

After the game, one of the announcers said of Marino walking off the field, "Well, you know he's going to be back here several times before all is said and done..."

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

He usually attends every Super Bowl in Miami since he has a box there.

9. Simon_Cowbell

He did keep the Bears from going 19-0, so that was something.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

both teams in yesterday's game were too flawed to be no. 1 in my book. great fourth quarter, no doubt. man, both those o-lines SUCK, people. wake the eff up. plus, i prefer my supes to include at least one of the two best teams in the league throughout the season.

last year's game has to be no. 1 in my book because of what the patriots were perceived to be -- perhaps the best single-season team in history. combine that with the tyree/manning heroics, that's my no. 1.

my no. 2 is giants beating bills, 20-19. buffalo was supposed to win handily with the offense of the '90s. both teams played very, very well. a nailbiter from start to finish. with a fabulously dramatic ending.

sorry to naysay, but these two aging eyes have seen too much to consider last night's game "the best ever."

11. Mizzougrad96

What was the line in the Buffalo-NY SB. I know the Bills were favored, but I don't think by more than a FG.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

bills were favored by 7. and they had demolished the raiders for the afc championship; the giants squeaked past the niners and were going with an untested hostetler instead of the injured simms.

Draft saved Draft deleted