1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's Top 10: Top 10 Super Bowls of All-Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

...or at least the last 42 years.

Today's Top 10 returns after a forced respite due to Mother Nature. Now that TT10 has had power restored, we can now continue to offer daily discussions on a variety of issues.

Since today is Super Bowl Sunday, it makes sense to talk about the 10 best Super Bowls. Of course, there's only been 42 of them up until today, so chances are there will be some games on this list that shouldn't qualify as "classics." That also should mean some differences of opinion on some games.

So, we've won the toss and elected to kick off Today's Top 10. Here we go...

1. Super Bowl III -- Jets 16, Colts 7: Not the greatest in terms of actual play, but it is the greatest upset in NFL history and showed that the AFL was an equal to the NFL.
    2. Super Bowl XLII -- Giants 17, Patriots 14: Game includes the Super Bowl's greatest catch and a last-second TD, which prevents the Patriots from finishing a perfect season.
    3. Super Bowl XXXIV -- Rams 23, Titans 16: Rams defense stops the Titans from scoring a touchdown on the game's last play. Question I've always had -- if the Titans scored would they have gone for two?
    4. Super Bowl XXXVI -- Patriots 20, Rams 17: Pros -- Game decided on last-second field goal, upstart Patriots win in an upset. Cons -- Bill Belichick gets slapped with the genius tag, goes straight to his head.
    5. Super Bowl XXV -- Giants 20, Bills 19: Scott Norwood gets too much of the blame for his wide-right kick. Being it was from 47 yards out, it was hardly a sure thing.
    6. Super Bowl X -- Steelers 21, Cowboys 17: Game filled with last-minute drama and a spectacular catch by Lynn Swann. It also gave life to the Steelers-Cowboys rivalry.
    7. Super Bowl XXXII -- Broncos 31, Packers 24: Elway beats Favre as the Broncos finally get the monkey off its back and give the AFC its first title in 13 years.
    8. Super Bowl V -- Colts 16, Cowboys 13: A sloppy game that's noted more for Jim O'Brien's last-second field goal.
    9. Super Bowl XXXVIII -- Patriots 32, Panthers 29: Almost a repeat of Super Bowl XXXVIII, with Adam Vinatieri kicking another last-second game winner.
    10. Super Bowl VII -- Dolphins 14, Redskins 7: Dolphins complete a perfect season with a dominating defensive performance. Garo Yepremian blunder is the Dolphins' only blemish.

Special Mention -- Super Bowl XXIII -- Bengals 16, 49ers 13 -- Cincinnati wins its first Super Bowl thanks to Stanford Jennings' 93-yard kickoff return TD and Lewis Billups' endzone interception to keep the Bengals up 13-6 early in the fourth quarter. Joe Montana and John Taylor connect for a last minute score to pull the Niners within three points, but they can't recover the onside kick and Paul Brown wins his long-deserved Super Bowl.

2. Super Bowl XX ;D

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

I'll take Panthers-Patriots as the best game out of them. Gripping stuff.

End of last year's game and Rams-Titans were pretty amazing, too.

4. WTF?

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

It's called humor.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I have to agree with Doc.

Sentiment aside, as far as the Super Bowls I've watched, the Broncos-Packers Super Bowl was the best as far as holding my attention throughout the game. Most Super Bowls, even ones with fantastic finishes (Rams-Titans, Rams-Patriots come to mind) have several lulls in which I'm more interested in the Super Bowl party food or my numbers on the strip card than what's going on (or not going on) in the game.

I've heard good things about Pats-Panthers, but I was so engrossed in putting together my SB pages during the second half I basically missed most of the good stuff.

And I think last year's game was a bigger upset than Super Bowl III.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's how I would have liked to remember it. Also give Krumrie his leg back and Stanley Wilson the brains to not get high the night before.

8. Ah. I was just worried FH was taking his facts from Bengalshistory.com

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Best I've ever seen are Patriots-Rams and Rams-Titans. Two absolutely timeless games.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Last-second field goals do not a great game make. There were 11 turnovers in that game and about a million penalties.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I agree and that's why I prefaced my list as I did. In the 80s and 90s, there were a lot of dog-ass blowouts. So, that artificially pushes games like SB V up, in my opinion.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Both games sucked for long stretches. And everyone remembers the ending of Rams-Titans, but that game was 9-0 at half. Ugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted