1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's Top 10: Journey's Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 22, 2009.

1. sg86

sg86 Member

nevermind.

totally messed up on names here.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Worse than the band.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

1. Don't Stop Believin'
    2. Faithfully
    3. Lights
    4. Open Arms
    5. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
    6. Who's Cryin Now
    7. Still They Ride
    8. Wheel In The Sky
    9. Girl Can't Help It
    10. Stone In Love

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ding ding ding. I can't believe the lack of love "Stone In Love" is getting. That's just about a perfect rock song.

And "Faithfully" gets its share of shit, but listen to that song build and build and build...just about the perfect power ballad. The video really makes the song (unlike most Journey videos, which ruin it): Those guys get so into it at the end with the banging of the instruments and mustache-free Steve hitting the high notes and Steve Smith banging the cymbal to end it.

My top 10 list...not a Journey completist, though I'd like to be, but I prefer the lesser-known AOR hits:

1. Stone In Love
    2. Faithfully
    3. Don't Stop Believing
    4. Party's Over
    5. After The Fall
    6. Be Good To Yourself
    7. Separate Ways
    8. Anytime
    9. Feeling That Way
    10. Ask The Lonely

Best song not sung by Journey that should have been sung by Journey: "I've Got A Lot To Learn About Love" by The Storm from 1991...anyone who heard this song would have sworn Journey was back together. And they were, sorta: This was a group led by ex-Journey singer/keyboardist/awesome froist Gregg Rolie, bassist Ross Valory and drummer Steve Smith. But no Steve Perry, just a Steve Perry soundalike (hmm, sounds familiar). The whole album was good, in a cheesy Journey sorta way, but it's out of print now and it goes for about $780 on Ebay.

Journey has to get back with Perry at some point. Just has to. The money would be obscene.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or perhaps not.[/nightranger]

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

still they ride and patiently are pretty chilax, but probably two of journey's most underrated tunes.

i saw brian adams open for journey in 1983 at the tacoma dome. both adams and perry were spot on live. might be the best concert i ever saw.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I saw Bryan Adams/Sammy Hagar/Aerosmith/Journey in 1983

Adams (for 45 minutes) and Journey rocked the house.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Neal Schon played with Santana at the age of 15 ... AT WOODSTOCK.

I can overlook tons of Journey cred for this fact alone.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK SportsJournalists.com, Journey sang a song in the early-to-mid 1990s. It was a fantastic song, and it was a fairly long song for radio. It was played all over Pittsburgh, and I am not sure if it was Perry singing or not because they keep replacing Perry with singers who sound just like him.

It was not a slow song, but it was not heavy either. I cannot remember any lyrics, but I think they would say "can you feel it" in the chorus.

I have searched and searched for this song.

What is it?

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A little late, but one man's top 10...

1. "Any Way You Want It"
    2. "Don't Stop Believing"
    3. "Open Arms"
    4. "Separate Ways"
    5. "Faithfully"
    6. "Stone in Love"
    7. "Lovin', Touchin' Squeezin'"
    8. "Be Good To Yourself"
    9. "Mother, Father" (off Escape)
    10. "Wheel In The Sky"

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I think they started having the Top 10 hits (beginning with 'Who's Crying Now' - a song not on many lists here) after Cain joined the band, although the previous three albums were million-sellers.

I can't remember from my VH1 Behind the Music viewing if Schon made the following comment regarding the change in audience after Perry joined the band or after Cain joined and Escape went into the top 10 -- it was something the effect of (because I can't remember the exact quote) 'Our audience used to be entirely male, then all of a sudden I look out and see all these girls in the audience with their boyfriends,singing along to every song. It sure made things nicer from the stage'

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Don't Stop Believin' is definitely at the top....Steve Perry's voice is singular. You instantly know it's him. Thanks to one of my freshman year roommates, Journey and Perry's voice are things that instantly take me back to college.

Draft saved Draft deleted